Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

x1950 xtx with r300g driver, how good for gaming?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's a known issue but you can open a new bug anyway.

Comment

Just to add my experiences, I've got an r300 core IGP (Radeon Xpress 1150). The Gallium3D driver is a tiny bit faster under Wine.

I tested with Half-Life2 with the -dxlevel 70 flag, since it won't with anything higher. In a particular spot:
      Classic mesa gives about 17fps.
      Gallium3D gives about 19fps.
      It's a small difference, but it is faster.

Comment

WINE seems to work fine with Gallium. I got a RS480 with me and can play Temple of Elemental Evil; it's not fast (need to turn off everything and/or set it to low, and use the lowest resolution available), but playable. Tried the Age of Decadence demo too and it also works with no errors.
        Gallium doesn't seem to be any faster under WINE than classic mesa. Some native games do seem to be faster (Nexuiz, Open Arena, Astromenace).

Comment

Originally posted by Melcar View Post
          WINE seems to work fine with Gallium. I got a RS480 with me ...
          Same here, RS480.

As of the last few updates, the Gallium driver seems to work at least the same, sometimes a fraction faster than the classic driver.
          I can't really comment on Gallium VS FGLRX. Haven't been able to use catalyst since 9.3.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies to this, I was really more curious as to "how well" games in wine would work with the gallium driver compared to classic mesa rather than "how fast", but what you've given me is enough to make me at least give the x1950 xtx a shot (EUR40 seems reasonable for a new one, right?).

A couple of questions though;
            I got my hands on an old x1950 pro agp card to test it out for myself since I last posted, however I ran into a couple of issues, highlighted here.

Is this terrible performance with kms and agp cards the norm? (~300fps in glxgears, but desktop is unusable)
            I tried the airlied's "drm-for-2.6.35" kernel, but it was no different than a 2.6.32 kernel, even though it looks like numerous agp fixes went in to that tree.

Anyone else see that "undefined symbol: _glapi_get_proc_address)" problem?
            Probably just something screwy on my end...

Even though it's unusable, with the gallium driver glxinfo does report the following;
            Code:
            OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on RV570
            OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 7.9-devel
            OpenGL shading language version string: 1.20
            However, isn't r500 hardware limited to opengl 2.0 with GLSL 1.1?

One thing that did work well for me though was the i2c hwmon support, with the (slighty patched) lm63 driver I was able to get two temperate readings as well as the fans' current pwm value in conky, very nice!
            I know this is utterly dependent on the sensor chip used, but do they all report the pwm value, or has anyone seen any that report the fans actual rpm?

Anyways, thanks again for all the replies.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
              but Galium3D don't care this driver have a very smart software openGL extansion Funktion.

Yes this is not so fast but yes it works.
              It is fast. NPOT textures are filtered using shaders, and shaders are fast. Yep, r500 supports GL2.1 and GLSL1.2 in theory, and even more: it supports ARB_shader_texture_lod, which is a subset of GLSL1.3 (unimplemented in Mesa).

Comment

Originally posted by marek View Post
                Originally posted by Zhick View Post
                Nope, wine and r300g don't seem to get along very well, for now at least. Even Warcraft III (which used to work fine with classic mesa) is slow as molasses with r300g.
                If there's something slow in mesa/r300g when running wine, I think it can be tracked down. There is a chance we will investigate the issue if the application you run under wine is available for free. Feel free to file a bug and attach the link to the free game/demo/app you have problems with. We can't fix something we don't know about.
                mea culpa, I just realized that you have to use the -opengl option when running Warcraft III to get decent performance. Now it's working fine and fast.

Comment

Originally posted by oibaf View Post
                  Is sauerbraten locking up a know issue or should I open a new bug?
                  This was fixed in mesa master just a couple of minutes ago.

Comment

Originally posted by marek View Post
                    This was fixed in mesa master just a couple of minutes ago.
                    Confirmed !!!

Great work, thanks .

Comment

Working...
                    X