Gaming with a Radeon mobility 9700 in 10.04

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gaming with a Radeon mobility 9700 in 10.04

I have been trying better utilize the Radeon Mobility 9700 GPU in my acer travelmate 3200 laptop. The open source drivers that come with ubuntu work to a degree but 3d performance of these drivers is pitiful. Another issue with these open drivers is that if I turn the desktop effects up to normal the screen artifacts and the system freezes. The newest catalyst drivers found in the repos do not support my card. The latest version that does support my card is 8.9 however these drivers do not support xorg-xserver found in 10.04. I can not get earlier versions of ubuntu to install on this laptop. So my question is there a way to get better performance out of my gpu in 10.04? I was using my Dualshock 3 with the qtsixa app and I would love to play some 3d games but this current problem is preventing me from doing so. Any help is greatly appreciated.

BTW the latest version should be 9.3, not 8.9. Ubuntu 8.10 or 8.04 LTS would be the versions to try, if you haven't already done so.

Kano, does this "sound like a job for KANOTIX", ie does Cat 9.3 work with the component versions in your distro ?
    Test signature

Comment

Alternatively, probably time to start reading up on the 300g Gallium3D driver, which is where your next round of open source improvements are going to show up. Not sure if you get the Gallium3D Mesa driver or the "classic" Mesa driver when you add the edgers repo these days.
      Test signature

Comment

I'll read up on 300g gallium3d driver, thanks for the reply.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
          Alternatively, probably time to start reading up on the 300g Gallium3D driver, which is where your next round of open source improvements are going to show up. Not sure if you get the Gallium3D Mesa driver or the "classic" Mesa driver when you add the edgers repo these days.
          You have to install libgl1-mesa-dri-gallium to get gallium from xorg-edgers, otherwise you'll end up using traditional mesa. As of today, upgrading to xorg-edgers will install xorg 1.8, libdrm 2.4.20 and mesa 7.9.0-devel.

Comment

Originally posted by kbios View Post
            You have to install libgl1-mesa-dri-gallium to get gallium from xorg-edgers, otherwise you'll end up using traditional mesa. As of today, upgrading to xorg-edgers will install xorg 1.8, libdrm 2.4.20 and mesa 7.9.0-devel.
            I have that, however, I just want to try a game that can run at 30 fps at least 1024x768 or better yet max at 60fps.

Comment

I am having an issue with the default radeon open drivers. If I boot ubuntu normally the system will freeze up with in a couple seconds to a couple minutes after I sign in. The only way to get a usable system is to boot ubuntu into recovery mode then select to run with low graphic settings. I am using open radeon drivers. Is there a way to trouble shoot and resolve what is causing graphical hang up? Thanks in advance.

Comment

Paste a link to your xorg log file; that's probably the first step. Use a service like pastebin, don't paste the whole file here.
                Test signature

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I am currently running in low graphics mode as it is the only way I can currently get ubuntu to function reliably. Will this effect the log? In any event here is the log posted to pastebin as requested.

Pastebin.com is the number one paste tool since 2002. Pastebin is a website where you can store text online for a set period of time.

Comment

That looks like a pretty normal startup. When you say "low graphics" do you mean "no desktop effects" ?
                    Test signature

Comment

Working...
                    X