Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• evil_core
    replied
    I switched to KMS/Gallium and after airmon-ng running over 20ours no crash at all in KMS. I had only two blackscreens when playing Quake3 in Gallium/KMS/pageflip after reverting Obcene_CNN Mesa patch(which didnt applied fully - maybe its the reason). With this patch partially applied Quake3 hanged usually in less than minute. I am talking about Gallium, because Classic is generally broken with KMS PageFlip for r500(in xorg.conf). And with PageFlip disabled q3a is laggy in 1600x1200 and frame flow is not smooth. (with PageFlip it is for mine r500). In Classic/PageFlip theres often hang with OpenGL app(permament for fullscreen apps), in every GL window, and to eliminate it xorg restart is needed(and sometimes module reloading)

Leave a comment:

• evil_core
    replied
    I am probably also affected by that. I think I didnt had problem for a while with KMS and Gallium because of using ethernet only. Now airmon-ng is running half of a day, and KMS xorg hangs very early.

I got UXGA T60p with FireGL V5200, and xorg 1.8.x, d-r-t and master DDX/Mesa/drm

Leave a comment:

• tomm
    replied
    Originally posted by agd5f View Post
    I'm not convinced this is the fault of the radeon driver. Seems more like it might be an irq or timer problem. Having radeon kms loaded may just aggravate it since it uses irqs and timers more than ums did.
    I hope this problem gets taken seriously. My laptop (Thinkpad T60) is virtually useless with radeon KMS enabled. I think the sound issues plus wireless ones together point the finger at Radeon KMS.

Anyway, I'm running fine with UMS for the time being.

Leave a comment:

• Porter
    replied
    Please try my suggestions on the bug report.
    Hi Alex, thanks for your help. I tried disabling msi, with no effect. In fact, the first time I booted with msi disabled it hung at the splash screen, but sorted itself out on the second boot cycle. Still drops wireless. Running with msi on and radeon kms disabled restores normal operation.

I'm not convinced this is the fault of the radeon driver. Seems more like it might be an irq or timer problem. Having radeon kms loaded may just aggravate it since it uses irqs and timers more than ums did.
    You are probably on to something there, but what sort of information do you need to test? I can provide logs if you let me know which ones you need.

Leave a comment:

• agd5f
    replied

Leave a comment:

• agd5f
    replied
    Please try my suggestions on the bug report.

Leave a comment:

• Porter
    replied
    Apparently it's slightly more serious than previously thought... users are reporting full kernel crashes when switching the wifi off using the hardware on/off switch. Disabling radeon KMS causes the behavior to disappear.

when I'm watching Zattoo (online tv) my wlan connection dies after a few minutes. Automatic reconnect is not possible, syslog shows the following error messages: Apr 4 20:21:21 r60 kernel: [ 727.542280] No probe response from AP 00:1f:3f:1e:41:b5 after 500ms, disconnecting. Apr 4 20:21:21 r60 wpa_supplicant[1048]: CTRL-EVENT-DISCONNECTED - Disconnect event - remove keys Apr 4 20:21:21 r60 NetworkManager: (wlan0): supplicant connection state: completed -> disconnected Apr 4 20:2...

Can any of the radeon devs chime in if they see this, to let me know if they're aware of this at all? Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• tomm
    replied
    Yes this is a very annoying bug. I can't even get on some wireless networks with radeon KMS enabled. Disable it and I get full bars, 80%+ connection quality.

Thinkpad T60, Radeon X1300, iwl3945.

Leave a comment:

• Porter
    replied
    Ha, I just realized ?yvind is the one who posted earlier in this thread. Hi ?yvind! Thanks for the links and the good information, hopefully it will get in front of the right eyeballs with all the linking.

Leave a comment:

• Porter
    replied
    OK, I filed a bug report on freedesktop.org and linked to the other reports on Launchpad and Bugzilla.

Apparently it may be due to a difference in PCI configuration between KMS and UMS?

?yvind Stegard on Bugzilla had this to say on that...
    Comment #29 From ?yvind Stegard 2010-05-10 17:31:29 (-) [reply] -------

(In reply to comment #28)
    > Thank you for testing. Appearently, there might be a clash in the PCI device or
    > bus configuration. Unfortunately, I'm not expert in this area. It might be a
    > good idea to check the PCI device setup using lspci (compare good and bad
    > behaviour).

Indeed, the PCI configuration for radeon is different under KMS (bad) compared
    to UMS (good):
    Code:
    --- lspci-radeon-good.txt    2010-05-10 19:13:21.003538070 +0200
    +++ lspci-radeon-bad.txt    2010-05-10 19:19:45.254230183 +0200
    [...]
    -    Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B- DisINTx-
    +    Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B- DisINTx+
    [...]
    -    Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 16
    +    Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 30
    [...]
    -    Capabilities: [80] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit+ Queue=0/0 Enable-
    -        Address: 0000000000000000  Data: 0000
    +    Capabilities: [80] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit+ Queue=0/0 Enable+
    +        Address: 00000000fee0100c  Data: 41b9
    +    Kernel driver in use: radeon
    There is no difference for the HDA Intel PCI configuration.

Also, KMS causes problems for my wireless PCI network controller/driver iwl3945 (drops connection during Flash fullscreen video streaming, when snd-hda-intel crackling is at its worst . So, my system probably has issues out of scope for this bug report, wrt. to KMS. Thank you for all help.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X