No announcement yet.

DRI2 Sync & Swap For ATI Finally Comes About

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Xine is crap, Gstreamer I don't know, it works for Ubuntu/Gnome based distributions.

What I know is that many KDE distribution focus on phonon-VLC development now and want to switch to it in the next 6-12 months.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
      What I know is that many KDE distribution focus on phonon-VLC development now and want to switch to it in the next 6-12 months.
      Yes and this is what I'm waiting for too. There's also mplayer backend, but I don't know which one is better.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
        Yes and this is what I'm waiting for too. There's also mplayer backend, but I don't know which one is better.
        I hear they dropped work on most phonon backend to make phonon-VLC completely kick ass.

Comment

If GStreamer and Xine are a joke and VLC is so amazing, both KDE and Gnome should focus on it instead, not just KDE.

Comment

I've never had any issue with xinelib (as a backend for KDE apps), I don't know what people are complaining about.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
              I hear they dropped work on most phonon backend to make phonon-VLC completely kick ass.
              And this is what I wanted to hear

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                I've never had any issue with xinelib (as a backend for KDE apps), I don't know what people are complaining about.
                I've had endless trouble with it. It was even the main reason I dropped Phonon from my projects and switched to SDL.

Hopefully VLC will not suck. It's very buggy right now but they say they're working on it.

Comment

Me neither.

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                  I've been using xine for years, and I've (relatively) recently started using KMS and Compiz too. And my DVD playback last weekend was flawless.

Bottom line: I have an old 9550 running with Fedora 12 and a composited desktop, and xine is apparently giving me tear-free playback both full-screen and in windowed mode. That's not "crap" in my book.

Comment

The Phonon Xine backend is crap, not Xine itself.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                      The Phonon Xine backend is crap, not Xine itself.
                      a vlc backend is plain stupid, no one has noticed that vlc is just a gui that put togheter a very rich set of different video API's, nobody here ever asked itself why vlc ask for mplayer libs? or ffmpeg libs or speex libs, etc? lol

vlc is not an engine or anything is something like kmplayer or dragon player, the only engines for video decoding are xinelib, gstreamer and shared with both ffmpeg, even mplayer is not entirely an engine but more like a cli gui for this libs too.

ok vlc ffmpeg trunk or mplayer could be a bit more polished if any but the problem here is the distros version of ffmpeg, libpostproc, x264, etc. compile kde 4.4 and all the multimedia api like libxine from scratch using vanilla code and you will see the diff, is not xine is the distros (ubuntu/debian/arch/opensuse as far i tested) wich bastardize or crappy backport stuff cuz they wanna use the "stable" "supported" version but using a kde version 1 year newer

Comment

Working...
                      X