VDPAU with the Radeon driver?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
    Afaik the idea is to implement the video decoding as a Gallium3D state tracker so it would Just Work (yeah, right) with all Gallium drivers.

Looks like it was put forth as a Google SoC idea, but didn't get picked up (Phoronix reported on this a week or two back).

I think it's a great idea though, and I'd love to see this come to pass. I'm also shopping around for a thesis project at the moment, but I have to see if there's interest from the school, if it meets the requirements for the program, and if the school's going to try to assert ownership of the produced code (and whether I'd be able to do release the source after I'm done as a result).

Comment

Originally posted by Rabauke View Post
      Here is an item nobody is talking about: reverse engineering.

Why is this technique not used in conjunction with UVD?
      If it is possible for a whole GPU (nouveau) why shouldn't
      it be possible for UVD?
      Do it then? It's just that reverse engineering it and actually releasing it would probably be a NDA breech for about all of the paid developers so I doubt they want to get their hands dirty with it. Any community developer who has no NDA related to AMD could give it a shot.

Comment

I suspect that the UVD is specially protected against reverse engineering. So if "normal" reverse engineering is difficult, this should be a real challenge.

Comment

[reverse engineering]
          If it is possible for a whole GPU (nouveau) why shouldn't it be possible for UVD?
          that's a misunderstanding. NVidia's GPUs are only partially RE'd, it's likely that the devs understand just enough to get their code working.

Most notably, the video decode units inside nvidia GPUs haven't been RE'd yet, either, and cannot be used with nouveau. That's because those things are protected well, if they're RE'd that could cost the respective vendor a lot of money.

Comment

Do it then?
            Stay focused, I only talked about the overall possibility!
            It's just that reverse engineering it and actually releasing it would probably be a NDA breech for about all of the paid developers so I doubt they want to get their hands dirty with it. Any community developer who has no NDA related to AMD could give it a shot.
            I'm not sure, do paid developers like dave, jerome and alex have NDAs regarding UVD? Or do they have just the free specs from AMD?
            Anyway, I suppose they have other things to do.

GSoC would have been nice.

Comment

Why is this technique not used in conjunction with UVD?
              If it is possible for a whole GPU (nouveau) why shouldn't
              it be possible for UVD?
              Either nobody cares or why would any sane person RE something that is not even working properly in the first place? I mean, it wouldn't be much useful to reverse engineer bugs, unless you know what they are and how you could fix them. Though I don't see how since you probably would have to generate another firmware. Too much hassle for little gain.

I believe there are much more chances to get UVD specs someday than have someone to fully understand and RE the UVD. Personnal opinion, of course, we are not guaranteed to get UVD specs either.

Comment

I'm not sure, do paid developers like dave, jerome and alex have NDAs regarding UVD? Or do they have just the free specs from AMD?
                The NDA might not mention UVD specifically but it's very likely to cover it. They'd have to get the code checked (because they're sane people and don't want to risk NDA breech) by lawyers first to see whether the code violates NDA and the lawyers would immediately decide this piece of code will not be released.

Comment

Working...
                X