Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I donate a few coniz to open source radeon driver?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I donate a few coniz to open source radeon driver?

Hi,

I'd like to support open source radeon driver development with a few coinz. I googled a bit but did not found such possibility.
    Am I a bad googler or such donation to driver development is not possible?

Thanks in advance

I don't think there's a central fund for radeon development. Some developers are paid by AMD, others by their distributions, some work on it in their free time. Now who of those would you want to donate to?

The best donations come in the form of patches and useful bug reports, anyway

Comment

Originally posted by rohcQaH View Post
      I don't think there's a central fund for radeon development.
      I think it should be
      Some developers are paid by AMD, others by their distributions, some work on it in their free time. Now who of those would you want to donate to?
      I believe the development is coordinated somehow. Those coordinators can decide where to put extra money. E.g. they can make a kind of "prize" for best patch from developers working in their free time. Such approach can encourage more developers to help the radeon driver.

The best donations come in the form of patches and useful bug reports, anyway
      Not everybody is a developer. Not every developer is actually a driver developer

Comment

This is good idea. It needs to be done.
        You can count on 25? from me for every ati card I purchase/upgrade.

Im not buying workstation hardware, so I think 30% on original price of card are good, if they can reach you.

It would also be great, you select which priority you want to boost in the driver. Ie powermanagment, 3D perfomance etc, stabilization etc.

Very good idea,uaaquarius !

Comment

Who is the coordinator? If X.org, they do accept donations.

Comment

Originally posted by uaaquarius View Post
            I believe the development is coordinated somehow. Those coordinators can decide where to put extra money. E.g. they can make a kind of "prize" for best patch from developers working in their free time. Such approach can encourage more developers to help the radeon driver.
            If you're fine with donating to X.org instead of strictly to radeon, they could probably use the money to make their summer coding event even bigger and help raise attention to it. Encouraging smart students as coders in the projects is always a good idea.
            Oh, nevermind, they already do it, says another replier.

Comment

FYI the GPU side of the business funds open source graphics driver development these days, beginning in Jan 2009.
              Test signature

Comment

@bridgman

Basically that sounds cheaper than putting effort in releasing fglrx driver for "legacy" cards, don't you think so?

Comment

I don't think so. I haven't done detailed costing for a while but last time I looked at the numbers the open source project was more expensive than maintaining legacy drivers would have been.
                  Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                    I don't think so. I haven't done detailed costing for a while but last time I looked at the numbers the open source project was more expensive than maintaining legacy drivers would have been.
                    For now, I'd definitely believe it. Hopefully once the r600g + Evergreen stuff is up + running + stabilized that balance will shift a bit. Long term, I'm hoping that the open-source strategy ends up saving you some money as it will possibly help to convince other hardware vendors to follow suit.

That being said, given that you do code-sharing between windows/fglrx, it might not end up that way, unless you consider that you're doing code/cost sharing via Gallium and state trackers with the other Mesa/Gallium hardware drivers.

Comment

Working...
                    X