AMD Catalyst 10.4 For Linux Officially Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by linuxjacques View Post
    Which kernel versions does 10-4 support? 2.6.33 ?
    Ubuntu 10.4 has a 2.6.32 kernel, but Canonical dicided that it was a good idea to take everything that is related to accelerated graphic from 2.6.34 and put it in their version of linux 2.6.32...

What this means is that you can take a newer open source driver and let it work with 2.6.34, but also let the restricted proprietary drivers for graphics card work because these require a little older kernel.

Everything that is not a graphics driver will have to count on a 2.6.32 kernel...

Comment

Thank you Kano!

Your script work just fine with Karmic.

Comment

Fine, needed several hs to optimize it... I would like to know from a hd 5 user if Unigine Heaven works directly after executing the script, because when you do not put fglrx + fglrx-amdcccle on hold the next d-u will update it with the repository version. So the simple way would be test it directly after script, d-u and reboot and compare. I definitely would never execute the ati-installer directly on Debian/Ubuntu - that only gives problems. I would not even use the nvidia installer on lucid (and therefore not my nvidia script) due to the special hacks.

Comment

I was hoping against hope...

Okay, so the other day I won a smoking new PC over at HotHardware.com, which included an ATI Radeon HD 5870 video card.

I have been a Linux enthusiast for six+ years, which means, I've been primarily using nVidia cards for the last 6 years.

But, having heard that the ATI drivers were much improved as of late, I decided not to immediately change the card and proceeded to install (dual-boot) Kubuntu 10.04. The desktop runs fine, but anyone else who owns an ATI card and uses Wine for gaming surely already knows what was in store for me. By now, I have been thoroughly deflated by the proprietary driver.

My nVidia EN9800GTX+ system will run every Windows game I throw at it (many without tweaking), and run them decently. But, the new system with the killer ATI card can't start half of them without the app crashing or having a billion glitches, even after disabling desktop effects.

I love the fact that AMD/ATI is being so open with our community, and don't hope to discourage ATI, but there's no way in hell I could recommend your cards when the competition's product actually works.

At this point I'm quite likely to swap cards with my kids' windows box and take the "downgrade" to a nv9800 that will run all my apps.

Comment

From other 10.4 thread:
            Originally posted by etreus View Post
            1) extract the data:
            sh ati-driver-installer-10-4-x86.x86_64.run --extract ati_10.04

2) edit the file:
            vi ati_10.04/packages/Ubuntu/dists/karmic/rules

edit the last line
            Code:
            binary-install/$(PKG_control)::
                    #execstack -c debian/$(PKG_control)/$(DRIDIR)/bin/amdcccle
            3) from dir ati_10.04:
            ./ati-installer.sh 10.04 --buildpkg Ubuntu/karmic

2 more comments,
            Ubuntu 9.10 x86-64
            mobility 4850
            catalyst 10.4 as built via above rules script edit.

My LCD brightness control has gone completely wonky from just semi-f'ed up. (Before 10.4 the 2nd setting from none in the brightness popup actually seemed to be the lowest brightness setting while the lower 2 became progressively brighter, i.e. 1 up from none was brighter than 2 up, and brightness all the way "down"(no bar) was brighter than 1 "up". Now my brightness control just flops all over the place, from nothing to what looks like about 5 then to 2, then to 4, etc... best way to describe I guess would be highlighted segments of the brightness popup feedback indicator...)

2. "Failed to execute child process "amdxdg-su" (No such file or directory)"
            CCC is back to shipping w/o AMD's little superuser script or whatever it was again. It's been like this for several releases now, and I just remember to try it again since I kept my own gksudo startup workaround from the last time...

Upon looking at the brightness setting indicator, I believe that the jumping around of the bar may be that it's actually indicating the correct brightness level now although it some how was shifted between 9.04 -> 9.10 Ubuntu dist upgrade... (I noticed that it jumped from a higher setting to a lower(indicator) which seemed to be roughly correct from screen "brightness" by eyeball...)

On a semi-related note they "forgot" to sign the 10.4 drivers for Windows, and they fail an integrity check. i.e. They're just as capable of f'ing up the Windows release as they are the linux release...

Comment

Well it seems AMD didn't bother to fix the incompatability with nForce4 chipsets in this release.
              Full Story here:

catalyst 10.4 still hangs the Xserver on Ubuntu 9.10. with a Radeon 5770 on an nForce4 chipset(MCP51)
              Better luck to you guys...

Comment

Originally posted by 3vi1 View Post
                The desktop runs fine, but anyone else who owns an ATI card and uses Wine for gaming surely already knows what was in store for me. By now, I have been thoroughly deflated by the proprietary driver.
                What exactly is the problem you're experiencing in Wine?

Have you considered editing the registry keys? First thing would be setting OffscreenRenderingMode to backbuffer, the default (fbo) is trouble-prone in my experience.

Comment

Originally posted by 3vi1 View Post
                  The desktop runs fine, but anyone else who owns an ATI card and uses Wine for gaming surely already knows what was in store for me. By now, I have been thoroughly deflated by the proprietary driver.

My nVidia EN9800GTX+ system will run every Windows game I throw at it (many without tweaking), and run them decently.
                  That would be due to most of the wine devs using NVIDIA, and so are completely unaware of any compatibility issues with ATI. With NVIDIA, they stick within the confluence of their understanding of the GL standard and NVIDIA's implementation.

Hopefully the wine tracker will begin to help with this.

Note that I am not saying that ATI's driver is perfect, I am just saying that if the whole development cycle is NV centric, then ATI isn't going to be great an experience.

Comment

Originally posted by linuxjacques View Post
                    Which kernel versions does 10-4 support? 2.6.33 ?
                    Sure, but IMHO you have to patch it. I have read about the patches for 2.6.33 or 2.6.34 on arch aur. http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=29111
                    In Arch I use the 10.4 and X.org 1.8.0.1 without Problems on a 2.6.33.

Comment

I'm using Debian testing and i just installed the debian fglrx packages from sid (1:10-4-1). The package itself works with 2.6.26-2-686 , 2.6.26-2-686-bigmem and 2.6.32-3-686-bigmem.

On the other hand.. my opengl applications crash now with fglrx 10-4.

I wonder if it might be better to just switch to an nv card. I bet i would save tons of hours figuring out how to workaround bugs...

Comment

Working...
                      X