X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cutterjohn
    replied
    Originally posted by Qaridarium
    45watt is bad hardware! nvidia just do not have any chip-making-skill!

is TDP320 watt for the gtx480 a good chip? most of the time only 5% faster than a 5870 TDP220watt!

100watt for only 5%....... WOW nvidia you are the best ever!

buying nvidia is like killing trees or mybe kids!
    actually, considering that the nVidia GTX 4XX series GPUs are MUCH larger than ATI's 5XXX GPUs nVidia MUST have better hw with such a slight increase in power usage, iff power usage is any criteria for judging a GPUs architecture.

IMO they're both fairly equivalent in hw arch terms, however nVidia just beats the pants off of AMD as far as drivers and extras go. Sure Eyefinity's a nice gimmick, but one that I'm unlikely to ever use...

Leave a comment:

• cutterjohn
    replied
    Originally posted by Qaridarium
    if you use the multicore option on the mplayer there is no need for an viedeo acceleration 'GPU'

on 3D stuff the hd5xxx is much better per watt power consuming than an modern nvidia "thermi/fermi" card.

so why do you wana buy 'bad'/'worst' hardware?

a gtx480 use up to 100watt idle!

a hd5870 in the best case 28watt idle!

nvidia just build very bad hardware.
    If you'd care to peruse http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...0,2585-15.html , and the GTX 470 is what I'd be comparing with the 5870 and the power use difference is not that great 12 - ~30W, also similarly with GTX 480 v. 5890...

Bottom line for me is after experiencing AMD "drivers" I'm going with nVidia on the desktop build, but will likely be waiting for Sandy Bridge now as it's not that far off and comes along with a new socket LGA2011. (Another good point about waiting is that usually for major API hw architecture support changes aren't so hot the first iteration of the hw, and I expect by the time Sandy bridge, new mbs, etc. are out that both nVidia and ATI will be on their 2nd generation of DX11/OGL4 supporting GPUs and since the latest cards are fairly expensive for decent specs I'll definitely be going with nVidia unless they manage another FX 5XXX cluster ----.)

nVidia & OSS: they don't need it. Their drivers usually work VERY well, and any major problems are usually quickly fixed or such has been my experience in the past.

Ubuntu 10.4: I'll be upgrading, but this time I plan to do a fresh install so I need to do some data backing up and then I'll still probably wait until June to do it. (Let others guinea pig it for a while, maybe 10.10 I'll try the betas IFF we don't need another early release driver for it...)

Leave a comment:

• Kano
    replied
    a) That's something for .35+
    b) If its not enabled by default it's buggy by definition as it would be on otherwise.

Leave a comment:

• Kano
    replied
    but thats stupid to run run the cards with oss driver, why should it run all the time in max speed mode? only complete idiots propose that!

Leave a comment:

• Kano
    replied
    You only get modesetting with hd5 cards now, definitely no powersave mode!

Leave a comment:

• Kano
    replied
    When you intend to use oss drivers a highend card is completely crap because you lose money due to more power consumption - when do you get it?

Leave a comment:

• Jimbo
    replied
    Originally posted by Kano View Post
    @ Q

Where is the power consumption of a highend ati card running with OSS driver?
    At this moment OSS power consuption will be high because there is no power management for OSS KMS.

When kernel 2.6.35-36 gets ready the power consuption of OSS will improve a lot!. Anyway fglrx has power management and power consuption is good.

Nvidia hardware is *fucked* this year, please read this, is a worth lecture.

WITH ANOTHER LAUNCH of the Nvidia GT300 Fermi GF100 GTX480 upon us, it is time for an update on the status of that wayward part. Production parts have been coming back from TSMC for several weeks n…

Leave a comment:

• monraaf
    replied
    Originally posted by monraaf View Post
    In my experience for switching from radeon to fglrx only a logout is required as that will restart the xserver.
    Fake edit: But this may be more problematic with kms nowadays, have to try it sometime.

Leave a comment:

• monraaf
    replied
    Originally posted by Panix View Post
    If I were to use Ubuntu 10.04 (so Gnome desktop or possibly, LXDE) and latest FOSS driver and switching to latest FGLRX when required...to use MPlayer and play DivX/Xvid/MOV4/HD files.
    2) playing Youtube video - streaming video

Potential Hardware: HD 4850 and HD 4770 (maybe no difference in experience???)
    In my experience for switching from radeon to fglrx only a logout is required as that will restart the xserver. For switching from fglrx to radeon a reboot is required, just logging out locks up the system.

Leave a comment:

• Kano
    replied
    @ Q

Where is the power consumption of a highend ati card running with OSS driver?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X