Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nvidia deside to abadon opensource, I deside to abadon Nvidia.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the honesty. Some Gentoo Fundamentalist once told me compiling everything from source only takes 5 minutes.
    To be honest most single packages will take less than 5 minutes.

Emerging world is something you do once, during your first install.

Most updates, if done regularly, will take a few minutes. Occasionally when a big component like OpenOffice or KDE is upgraded, it will take a couple of hours. It's longer than with binary distributions, but it's not a tragedy in this age of fast parallel processors.

And you can use your computer while it's compiling too.

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
      Yeah. It also means you can
      1. have dinner
      2. watch a movie
      3. go to sleep
      4. have breakfast
      5. walk the dog
      6. go to the gym
      7. have a shower

and the damned thing is still compiling
      1) you see that there are a couple of big updates
      2) you start the updates
      3) you continue to do the usual stuff. Web surfing, emails, battle for wesnoth, watching tv, watching some movies, listening to music.
      4) you go to bed
      5) you wake up, everything is done
      or
      6) something is still going on, you leave for work.
      7) You check with ssh that everything is ok - and shut down your box from your ANDROID mobile phone.

and using less than a minute/package means compiling faster than some people can download binary packages.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
        To be honest most single packages will take less than 5 minutes.

Emerging world is something you do once, during your first install.

Most updates, if done regularly, will take a few minutes. Occasionally when a big component like OpenOffice or KDE is upgraded, it will take a couple of hours. It's longer than with binary distributions, but it's not a tragedy in this age of fast parallel processors.

And you can use your computer while it's compiling too.
        This.

I haven't ever been a Gentoo guy (I used to be a package maintainer for Lunar Linux, though, which is similar), but recompiling the whole system from source is a one-time event. You do it right after you get the system installed and your compiler flags sorted out. After that's done, you just compile packages which have been updated since your last update. It may be more than 5 minutes (e.g. new OpenOffice came out, Gnome 3.0 gets released, etc), but it's not going to be a 10 hour process every week.

And as has been mentioned, you can use the computer just fine while it's updating. The only times that I have encountered noticable slowdowns is while linking an updated kernel (not sure why that one happens). If I have reason to believe that an update will be very long-lived and could potentially disrupt current activities, I'll just start it before going to bed and let the computer put itself to sleep when it's done.

On Topic:
        I voted "I'd switch to AMD", but I already use AMD CPU+GPU in my desktop and HTPC, and my old laptop has a x300 + Pentium M.

My current laptop has a GF9400, but it's running MacOS + Win7 (and Arch in a VM while I decide if I want to do a full install of Arch). If the Macbook had come with a radeon, I'd have been overjoyed, but given that MacOS only uses binary blobs, I wasn't going to let that stop me (the Macbook had too many pros to outweigh the cons for me).

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
          Thanks for the honesty. Some Gentoo Fundamentalist once told me compiling everything from source only takes 5 minutes. Somehow I had a feeling he was not telling the truth Also I think this should make it clear why Michael is not very keen on benchmarking Gentoo.
          Ahaha, no, thats hardly the correct way.
          I have just throw in -j5 (probably -j8 would be better with -l6) and changed CFLAGS from native to ones I found on gentoo-wiki for Phenom II, since I have stable gcc branch; and started time emerge. This is hardly optimized, I think cpu was max 50% used for all cores and hardly half of the time the system spent installing packages rather than compiling. No ccache, no parallel fetch and hardly any optimization But I wont change gentoo for anything. Well maybe ubuntu, for the reason it "just works". But sometimes it works very weird, so no, ubuntu on the stick and gentoo ftw I dont run servers, so sorry debian, but you are really awesome

Comment

Guys gentoo IS fast. Kernel recompile (make -j5) has taken roughtly 3 minutes on this system, this was fat ubuntu-like config.Cfg-update matches the config system of debian, so cfg update is easy. Having world-file to strictly separate needed from dependencies is genial. Having use-flags, mulitversion, slot installs is unmatched. The only difficulty is gentoo delivers vanila, unconfigured software and you need to learn how to set it up, but thats the only thing and it isnt gentoo-related, it is bare linux and I like it.

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
              This is hardly optimized
              Yes, that indeed seems to be the same as as CFLAGS="-march=native -O2 -pipe" with new enough GCC.
              Although if you ever want to go distcc, -march=native == pain anyway so perhaps it's good you followed that advice. (-march=native isn't interpolated before being sent over via distcc so end result might be binary compiled to a completely different arch; that's at least how it was when I last tried)

Comment

--stupid edit limit--

You can let compilation run in background, but hardly any software requires much time to compile. Maybe gcc and codecs, but thats where gentoo is worth it. Gentoo is easier than many think, much easier. And I like the software control(ebuild control to be exact). Crappy ebuilds never (almost) appear in ebuild stable tree(hardly even in testing). Unlike Arch. No offence.But for me gentoo is much easier to control than archlinux. Paradox, eh?

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
                  hardly any software requires much time to compile.
                  And the dreadful OpenOffice which Gentoo has binary packages for.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                    Occasionally when a big component like OpenOffice ...is upgraded.
                    Actually, you should never compile openoffice.
                    There is openoffice-bin for some reason
                    Openoffice is one BIG something,.. there is no individual components, ie write, draw etc - they are just links to one big .. something.
                    There was a question on gentoo forum to make it modular, and everything settled up once the reason was explained. Yes debian separates it, but that individual pieces are small links. So..

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
                      And the dreadful OpenOffice which Gentoo has binary packages for.
                      Haha, you read my mind

Comment

Working...
                      X