Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nvidia deside to abadon opensource, I deside to abadon Nvidia.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One word about CPU.
    Athlon II X4 630 @ 1.15 volts, 4x2.8Ghz, with automatically controlled stock fan@1000rpm, performing gentoo "emerge -euDN world" - recompilation of everything(790 packages) with new CFLAGS(for new K10 hardware), 775 minutes of compilation with -j5(5 threads).

34C
    System temp 38C
    Outdoor - 24C

This CPU is awesome. No l3 cache does not only mean less perfomance in case of if-cache-hit, but also means less price, less heat and less power consumption. I think dualchannel 2x2Gb DDR3-1600 can compensate this.

Undervolting is a must though. My had 1.4v stock, some other guys reported to have 1.2v stock. Dunno why.

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
      You have a point in what you claimed before. What is the current vision for platform-independent coding, btw? SDL? (which in term can tap OpenGL, OpenAL(?), network stuff etc)
      We do need a simple framework we can market to gaming companies that they can target against, after all.
      Im not a professional programmer, but I think creating crossplatform stuff is fairly easy. ifdef win32, elseif linux.. ID software projects are compiled for windows and linux and run native. Many games, incl. those that use id-tech 2&3 engines are written in crossplatform style.

But SDL makes this process even easier, it provides a lot of interfaces and links against them. You dont need to search for the library, load it in memory etc. SDL does it for you. You, or distribution maintainer compile sdl with support for anything you want, for example
      Code:
      ~ $ eix libsdl
      [I] media-libs/libsdl
           Available versions:  1.2.13-r1 ~1.2.14 ~1.2.14-r1 ~1.2.14-r2 {X aalib alsa +audio custom-cflags dga directfb esd fbcon ggi +joystick libcaca nas opengl oss ps3 pulseaudio static-libs svga tslib +video xinerama xv}
      Then, a game programmer(or any programmer that wishes to write crossplatform code quick), links his game agains libsdl. Game->libsdl.
      Sdl manages the end point connections on OS, regardless of what it is. 3D, image, sound, networking - all inclusive. Simple layer, quick binds, code runs natively and is crossplatform. I dont know about big/little endian systems though,like I mentioned, Im not a professional programmer; but I do heard game-devs praise it . The only thing which you need is to learn use it, which should be easy as Ive heard. Code::blocks IDE supports SDL project btw..

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
        One word about CPU.
        Athlon II X4 630 @ 1.15 volts, 4x2.8Ghz, with automatically controlled stock fan@1000rpm, performing gentoo "emerge -euDN world" - recompilation of everything(790 packages) with new CFLAGS(for new K10 hardware), 775 minutes of compilation with -j5(5 threads).
        Thanks for the honesty. Some Gentoo Fundamentalist once told me compiling everything from source only takes 5 minutes. Somehow I had a feeling he was not telling the truth Also I think this should make it clear why Michael is not very keen on benchmarking Gentoo.

Comment

Im not a professional programmer, but I think creating crossplatform stuff is fairly easy. ifdef win32, elseif linux.. ID software projects are compiled for windows and linux and run native. Many games, incl. those that use id-tech 2&3 engines are written in crossplatform style.
          Yeah, but it's more than that. Graphics done in a portable way is pretty trivial, that's OpenGL nowadays here but it stops immediately after that. What should be used for sound? OpenAL? PulseAudio? ALSA? What should be used for input? After all, Microsoft's DirectX is a lot more than just a graphics framework and offers tons more starting from network functionality and input devices to game developers. SDL is afaik one solution that's also pretty wide but I'm not sure if it's taken wind well.

Comment

Okay, my last message was unintendedly confrontational. I just meant to stress there's tons more than graphics to what Linux needs to look good to programmers.

Comment

Try to understand me, I hold you for wrong in many points.

Wine is great way to launch windows applications that have no ports or no equivalents on linux.
              It is also great way to show that linux is capable and faster that windows.
              But this is where it ends.
              Microsoft releases a game(actually not microsoft, but Bungie - the developer) only for microsoft(nothing new) with only-microsoft renderer(directx).

1) Now you buy this game(you support microsoft and tell bungie it is sufficient to release only microsoft code).
              1a) You do not send email to the company(bungie) asking to release linux version.
              1b) Releasing or supporting linux stack is unnecessary, there is wine. Wine becomes official "interface" to linux. Wine implements microsoft technology.
              2) You also buy windows, but you dont install it. You need to have one copy of windows to accept license for fonts, .NET and many more things. You buy and dont use, or you buy and use - where is difference?
              3) You pay microsoft for windows to use wine, you pay microsoft for directx, you pay bungie for windows game and dont tell bungie you need linux version. In best case bungie asks you to use wine next time. Wine is NOT MAJOR part of linux, but thanks to you no games will work in linux without WINE.
              4) You cannot use lastest AdobeCS4 and Microsoft Office only because of this: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wine_(software) "Microsoft and Wine"
              and because of DRM. Proprietary software installs numerous copyprotection systems that root deeply into the system and require them to run. Linux is the opposite of DRM. It is developed differently. Thats why using windows software on linux is very bad for linux.

You get and support windows games, windows(for license), put windows on linux, put wine on linux, play with bugs. You support closed source for linux.

I sell nvidia card so AMD implements linux stack. Only because of opensource I switch cards. I support open source for linux. I do not want wine or anything windows run on linux.

Everyone is free to choose.
              exactly. I don't know anything to add to this.

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
                Thanks for the honesty. Some Gentoo Fundamentalist once told me compiling everything from source only takes 5 minutes. Somehow I had a feeling he was not telling the truth Also I think this should make it clear why Michael is not very keen on benchmarking Gentoo.
                well, 790 packages in 775 minutes means less a minute/package....

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post
                  well, 790 packages in 775 minutes means less a minute/package....
                  Yeah. It also means you can
                  1. have dinner
                  2. watch a movie
                  3. go to sleep
                  4. have breakfast
                  5. walk the dog
                  6. go to the gym
                  7. have a shower

and the damned thing is still compiling

Comment

Outdoor - 24C