No announcement yet.

Whoops, ATI's Evergreen Will Bring A New Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PS: by dedicated fb I meant fbbplus 2D engine... oops.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
      trees and island in 1337 is just r800 and r900
      And the St. Gallium hasn't arived at the magic island yet. They say that it is unsinkable!

Comment

Lol...come to think about it, the fact that this thread even exists would probably be the wet dream of RMS

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
          Either way you end copying to the graphics card... Does this mean that a dedicated framebuffer is not nessecarily faster than a CPU, but is only good for offloading calculation power? And the CPU is only faster if you do nothing else but blit a bunch of pixmaps? This in the sense that if you do more than that it would be faster to let the graphocs card handle the blitting because then you don't have to move stuff back and forth between the CPU and the GPU to avoid massive latency?
          Depends what for.. The GPU memory is a lot faster than the CPUs, and the GPU also better suited to this type of work, but there's also some additional latency involved in sending the commands to the GPU, which means that for really small jobs (drawing an icon etc) it may be better to just have the CPU do it than incur the latency you get by sending it to the GPU (with shadowFB, that is - the CPU has lower latency access to its own memory, but if it needs to draw to memory on the gpu then it's probably a wash.)

Comment

Originally posted by FunkyRider View Post
            See, I know exactly what you mean. I have been a loyal ATI user since the Radeon 9700 days. I started converting myself to a full time Linux user in the Radeon X1900 era (3~4 years ago?) and the experience has always been like what you said Fglrx has always been a crap, endless crashing, slowing down, corrption, watermark?! And OSS driver by that time does not even support 2D acceleration in my X1900, so I waited and waited and waited still I sold my X1900 and it still doesn't work in Linux. My next purchase, the most regretful one was HD 2900 PRO. I could have gone to nVidia and be happy once and for all, but 2900 drag me into the same loop hole. Fglrx after two years was still just like before, slowing down in scroll, card fan fires up at full speed, lock ups and shit, and they got X1000 series working in OSS driver! but I upgraded to HD2000 family, by which time the OSS driver still did not support yet. So another year of wait. And this keeps on going for my HD 4850. You see, you can never get out of this waiting loop hole unless you jump ship to use something else. You can either use new NVidia cards, or you can use ATI cards which are 5 years old. But new ATI card on Linux? come on that's never gonna ever happen.
            i understand you, i was a full nvidia guy but a 4850x2 conquer my heart, at the beggining when i first try fglrx i just finded out that i was been fooled and the pain begun. up to this point i never felt this bad with a piece of hardware lol but i heard that an OSS driver was coming so i decided to stop the sell of my cards and wait, same as you.

now on the other hand i've been using linux/solaris for like ten years now, and well the one thing i always said any unix like system suck was in the graphic stack. so in the past linux/solaris/bsd/whatever was a different story cuz the graphic stack was mostly a hack to include new hardware in a 30 years old slow infrastructure. so rigth now in 2010 we got a beggining to a solution to avoid in the future ppl like us suffer from problem anymore and that is due to the hard work putting in the graphic stack wich is being thinked to actually work with modern gpu in a nice way.

so the future is not so black once g3d and the new plataform gets here production ready and well who knows what kind of magic can bring the future

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
              No, we just like trees... and islands...
              And famous race tracks in other spheres of operation.

If Wikipedia is correct, Fusion will be codenamed after birds, presumably to preemptively stop fist fights between engineers from the graphics and processor divisions.

Comment

Working...
              X