Whoops, ATI's Evergreen Will Bring A New Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
    Yes, but probably only a little part of it.
    As talked over again, refactoring would probably help but doing refactoring on classic Mesa code so soon before going to G3D is somewhat silly.

Comment

Hello All, especially Mr. Bridgman!

I've already tried using ATI hardware on linux.
      That was HD4650 from XFX on Ubuntu 10.04. The opensource driver worked like charm. I was using 1980x1020 24" monitor, connected to DVI.

But 3D was basically absent. I think there was no Gallium changes integrated in Ubuntu; so now Im running gentoo box, and this should be no problem anymore.

Lastest fglrx installed flawlessly, but produced massive 2D problems, even ttys freezed on changing. Now 3D was acceptable. I didnt use WINE(I suppose it would crash-n-burn anyway), but OpenArena was ... er weak. Even with 1920x1080 resolution on Intel E5300 with 2x2GB ddr2_800, I had 80 fps on low settings. My previous system, AMD Athlon3200+, 1Gb DDR1_400 with Gf6800 has performed VASTLY better. So, in rage I have exchanged 4650 for Gf 9800GT green. 190-400 fps, maxed out.

Now recently WINE has produced many troubles to me. Old games that I have(NOLF2, Painkiller - all legally) are played with problems on input(W/D keys stuck). I have all my data corrupted by a virus, which I got, because I needed new NoCD patch, because Painkiller was updated and WINE is unable to not run with copy protection. WINE also installs own MIME on common data(replacing text documents assoc from Abiword to WINE notepad, etc) and I dont want 500 dll files in my linux box.

So, watching the whole action around ATI last month here and nvidia removing support for its most basic driver, I want linux to have native opensource drivers, something that only AMD capable of(Intel does weak hardware and much less effort). At least I play AlienArena and UrbanTerror natively sometimes and I can bite my lips together and reinstall 6 year old windows xp home(that came with my PC and was never used for last 2 years) on separate harddrive, just for gaming, until opensource 3D stack emerges and some native 3D games can run on it.

Wine is half-arsed way of 3D on linux (to me) and I want to support company that really does something on linux.

I have the following question:
      When will hd5xxx series be supported in gallium? An answer from insider would be nice.

Because right now Im into replacing
      E5300, 2x2Gb-ddr2-800, asrock P43ME, geforce9800gt

with
      athlon II X4, 2x2gb-ddr3-1333, AM3 Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-UD2H and HD4770 from XFX(which is HARD to find, just because 5xxx is not supported by opensource yet; 4850 drains much more power for same performance, so Im stuck with 4770).

The reason for II X4 is - 4 cores(I need the power) and low energy consumption(if undervolted). I will keep eyes open for upcoming energy efficient Athlons.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
        quintesse, one thing that really helps with learning how a GPU works is to pick up an OpenGL book and start writing some simple graphics programs.
        Well I did that actually. Simple things, but enough to get a "feel" for OpenGL programming. But it was more the entire Linux graphics stack that was driving me nuts, so many changes lately and not knowing what it's all for, except that it's good

When AMD made its pledge to go open source I made mine to only buy AMD gfx cards, even though I waas an nVidia buyer before (mostly because of the perceived differences in quality of the drivers) and even though I knew it would take you a while to actually make good on that promise. And I would like to thank you personally for all the info you continue to share and also for your patience with us here in the forum.

Comment

4770 has 128bus but GDDR5. I hope I will not be met by the same level of performance I once had with 4650.
          Also I need a dual slot card, which blows hot air out of the case, as I have desktop case and this is a problem.

4770 is hard to find, but 5xxx are all here,yet unsupported even in 2D. So which way should I go?

Comment

R5xxx unsupported even with 2D? Huh? Fedora plus KDE 4.4.1 is screaming on my 5770, even with a mpeg4 2,9GB vid...

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
              R5xxx unsupported even with 2D? Huh? Fedora plus KDE 4.4.1 is screaming on my 5770, even with a mpeg4 2,9GB vid...
              xorg-ati? .

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
                ..HD4650 from XFX on Ubuntu 10.04. The opensource driver worked like charm. I was using 1980x1020 24" monitor, connected to DVI.

But 3D was basically absent. I think there was no Gallium changes integrated in Ubuntu; so now Im running gentoo box, and this should be no problem anymore.
                There is no ready-to-use Gallium3D driver for 6xx or higher (including your card) so there's nothing to integrate into Ubuntu or Gentoo. There is a 3D driver using the classic Mesa HW driver API - that should have been present in Ubuntu 10.04. When you say "3D was basically absent" can you give a bit more detail ? Are you seeing different results with 3D on Gentoo ?

..I have the following question: When will hd5xxx series be supported in gallium? An answer from insider would be nice.
                The work isn't actually being done by insiders so I'm probably the worst one to ask. Jerome (glisse) and Corbin (MostAwesomeDude) had both started working independently on a Gallium3D driver for 6xx and higher, and they are planning to join forces (and I expect our devs will join in as well). We expect to have Evergreen support out in the classic driver soon enough that the Gallium3D driver can support 6xx, 7xx and Evergreen at the same time, whatever that turns out to be.

Anyways, bottom line is that you don't need to wait for a Gallium3D driver to get 3D on your card, or on an Evergreen card.
                Test signature

Comment

xorg-ati? .
                  radeon

But the message is too short so I have to type this useless sentence

Comment

There is no ready-to-use Gallium3D driver for 6xx or higher (including your card) so there's nothing to integrate into Ubuntu or Gentoo. There is a 3D driver using the classic Mesa HW driver API - that should have been present in Ubuntu 10.04. When you say "3D was basically absent" can you give a bit more detail ? Are you seeing different results with 3D on Gentoo ?

The work isn't actually being done by insiders so I'm probably the worst one to ask. Jerome (glisse) and Corbin (MostAwesomeDude) had both started working independently on a Gallium3D driver for 6xx and higher, and they are planning to join forces (and I expect our devs will join in as well). We expect to have Evergreen support out in the classic driver soon enough that the Gallium3D driver can support 6xx, 7xx and Evergreen at the same time, whatever that turns out to be.

Anyways, bottom line is that you don't need to wait for a Gallium3D driver to get 3D on your card, or on an Evergreen card.
                    OOPS, I think I have misspelled Koala for Lynx. I was testing it under Koala, sorry, so 9.10. In OpenArena xorg-ati did little over 8 fps on dual-cored e5300(2.6ghz).

No, what I mean is with gentoo I can at least pull lastest versions out.
                    Im currently not having ATI cards, Im planning to buy them today. The other problem is that Im not able to find any 4770 with blow-out pipe cooling, 4830 and 50 eat too much, I have 420W psu. :/

So, you mean, even on 4770 the only driver with 3D is fglrx and for 5xxx cards it is also the only one for 2D? Do I copy it right?

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
                      radeon

But the message is too short so I have to type this useless sentence
                      WTF? 5770 with working 2D on open-source drivers?
                      Can you doublecheck?
                      I can wait for 3D anyway.. Had enough of "wine" already.

Comment

Working...
                      X