R500 Mesa Is Still No Match To An Old Catalyst Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
    Even on nvidia, you can enable strict mode using a #version pragma (which will turn most portability warnings into errors and stop the code from running). Most developers don't bother to add version pragmas either.
    Evil way from driver developers' side (if nVidia guys could bother to do it) would be to regard the lack of a version pragma an error.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
      Well i think ATI cards are not really common for xbmc dev, even VAAPI support is developed with NVIDIA...
      You're probably right. Just as with the wine devs, the Adobe flash player dev and I forgot the name of another Linux program where the devs only tested their code on NVidia cards. Probably historic reasons for that.

Comment

@BlackStar

Did you send a patch to the xbmc devs? Then i could test it.

Comment

test plans

Any ATI developers on here?

1. Are you Open Source or Company men?

2. What specific hardware do you use?

3. What distribution do you develop on?

4. What distribution(s) do you test on? (with release version number please)

5. Is there a posted ledger of items that would make a driver feature complete? Where?

Comment

The two active ledgers right now are the RadeonFeature wiki page ( http://www.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature ) and the OpenGL 3.0 task list maintained by Brian at VMWare ( http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/tree/docs/GL3.txt )

We should probably also update this one to include r6xx/7xx/EG :

re: distros, the open source devs tend to run whatever distro is closest to the new stuff, currently a toss-up between Lucid and F13.

I`m running Lucid right now but will probably switch to F13 for the graphics test day (Wed) and stay there for a bit. Hardware is rv570 (X1950PRO), rv620 (HD3450) and an engineering sample of HD5870 on a Phenom X4. HD5670 at home.

The proprietary driver devs tend to have a dozen or so distro images active and rotate between them depending on the specific bug fix or feature they are working on. We run a mix of PC platforms but try to match the distribution of CPUs and chipsets found in the market over the last 6 months.

We also have a small test team building and testing the latest open source driver code on a few different OSes, currently running on a 2 week cycle. I`ll dig up the last test report from them and get you the distro version and HW details as well.
            Test signature

Comment

@BlackStar

Did you send a patch to the xbmc devs? Then i could test it.
              Not feeling bored enough to debug (yet another) random app right now. I'll let you know, though.

A slightly more practical question: does XBMC OpenGL/GLSL output work with Mesa?

Comment

I only test fglrx, mesa does not interest me. Especially as you can test now also vaapi.

Comment

I only test fglrx, mesa does not interest me. Especially as you can test now also vaapi.
                  I suspect you missed the point. Both Mesa and fglrx have stricter compilers than nVidia. But if Mesa works and fglrx doesn't, it's very likely to be a strictly fglrx bug, not a program bug.

Comment

I can only test ATI 4550, i doubt R700 has got GLSL, i do NOT own a R500 card anyway, why should i test it?

Comment

I can only test ATI 4550, i doubt R700 has got GLSL, i do NOT own a R500 card anyway, why should i test it?
                      Because that would help pinpoint the bug. Is it in XBMC or in fglrx?

R700 GLSL is listed as "mostly" here, so I suspect it should be working more or less. (IIRC, the Mesa is missing flow control for GLSL 1.2 but that's it).

Comment

Working...
                      X