R500 Mesa Is Still No Match To An Old Catalyst Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kano View Post
    Of course they did something wrong, they implemented it that xv is possible but not that it uses vsync.
    Yeah but I read from your post that they implemented it different than in R500. I was mostly wondering why. Tends not to be a good idea to stray from past designs without a very good reason. (and spec differences and possible (mis)assumptions about new capabilities could imo be a possible reason)

Comment

That's simple, before the chip had hardware xv support, now it is done by software (shaders).

Comment

What people should do to avoid tearing with fglrx, is to set vsync to always within the amd/ati control panel.
        When vsync is enabled, one should use mplayer with opengl as output.

No other mediaplayer (which I know of), is forcing fglrx to go in "real" fullscreen -> Vsync doesn't work properly. So it is important that you see the movie through mplayer!

Comment

Well i also like xbmc, now xbmc gained vaapi support too which is a good move. xbmc only uses opengl to render, but fglrx fails to use the auto mode which is usally the same as glsl renderer. nvidia cards have got no problems using glsl renderer.

Comment

Originally posted by tball View Post
            What people should do to avoid tearing with fglrx, is to set vsync to always within the amd/ati control panel.
            When vsync is enabled, one should use mplayer with opengl as output.

No other mediaplayer (which I know of), is forcing fglrx to go in "real" fullscreen -> Vsync doesn't work properly. So it is important that you see the movie through mplayer!
            And the result is a half-assed desktop:

With the OSS drivers, you can get Xv and GL video with VSync without the need to disable compositing. But the 3D speed of the drivers cripple the cards. Half-assed #1.

With fglrx you can use the available 3D power of your card, but the workarounds and compromises needed for fglrx (watch only with compositing disabled, don't use Xv, enable VSync in CCC, bla bla) are crippling the 2D and video experience. Half-assed #2.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
              And the result is a half-assed desktop:

With the OSS drivers, you can get Xv and GL video with VSync without the need to disable compositing. But the 3D speed of the drivers cripple the cards. Half-assed #1.

With fglrx you can use the available 3D power of your card, but the workarounds and compromises needed for fglrx (watch only with compositing disabled, don't use Xv, enable VSync in CCC, bla bla) are crippling the 2D and video experience. Half-assed #2.
              I didn't say the solution was optimal. Just that it works.
              You don't have to disable compositing to fix the tearing.
              The "only" thing you have to do, is to enable vsync and use mplayer with opengl as output.

Comment

Originally posted by marek View Post
                I bet ColorTiling isn't enabled on Lucid. This one should improve performance A LOT with r300c and even more with r300g since only the latter has full tiling support.

-Marek
                yeah! thanks for the hint. finally I am able to play openarena under KMS: http://www.rojtberg.net/390/gallium3d-is-taking-over-2/

Comment

Originally posted by tball View Post
                  I didn't say the solution was optimal. Just that it works.
                  You don't have to disable compositing to fix the tearing.
                  The "only" thing you have to do, is to enable vsync and use mplayer with opengl as output.
                  No, that won't do. It's still tearing. It only works with composite disabled (KDE will disable it when you watch in full screen, but you're assuming that we want to watch in fullscreen.)

Comment

OpenGL + Vsync removes tearing for me with fglrx under smplayer, composition or no composition.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                      No, that won't do. It's still tearing. It only works with composite disabled (KDE will disable it when you watch in full screen, but you're assuming that we want to watch in fullscreen.)
                      Yes of course I assume you would watch the movie in fullscreen :-)

Comment

Working...
                      X