No announcement yet.

Release The Driver, Or Step Aside

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think the temporary ban was completely warranted. I say this having never replied to one of his posts.

Maybe to people who don't speak English as a first language, he might not seem that bad. The fact is, however, that the wording in all of his posts was rude and abrasive. He didn't say all that much that was directly and literally offensive, but the nuance was always there in every post.

If a person is simply rude or antisocial, it shows more. In his case, he was deliberately trying to ruffle feathers. His choice of words were slyly chosen, and I feel intended only to ruffle feathers.

Comment

• Originally posted by airlied View Post
      KMS has only be out of staging in the kernel for a couple of months. Before that point it wasn't something that was in any way ready for a release. Like I'm sure you guys love closed source development, and you seem to confuse access to the code during development with access to the code when released. Just because we've put code out for people to see and use, it doesn't mean its released in the "closed-source" development methodology. We are developing the code in public, and we get feedback from people interested in using it. Though we still have to do a proper release process when we are happy with the code, which we are doing now.

Its almost like you don't understand how open source differs from closed.

Dave.
      Sorry of little OT here but...
      How is KMS vs UMS development? I mean, is UMS still in development?
      I, for example have two R3xx graphic cards and my motherboard BIOS initializes only one card at boot time and now I've upgraded Kubuntu to 10.04 with KMS... I might be wrong with thinking, but... everything works great with first card on KMS and second with UMS (second X-server started from KDM). So I wonder how long configurations like mine will be supported?

Comment

• Originally posted by benmoran View Post
        In his case, he was deliberately trying to ruffle feathers.
        Have to agree here. Since the very first lines of the first post, the thread was meant to be aggressive and demeaning. The ban was warranted, and shouldn't be lifted just because people like the drama.

Comment

• As I said earlier, ignoring that guy would probably solve the issue. Additionally, the thread could have simply been closed
          It wasn't about any technical thing but just a quite rude demand of a(n) (upset) person.

This is an unfortunate issue that this all went kind of out of control.
          IMHO banning should really be the very very last possibility to act against somebody.
          OK, I don't know what he said in those PMs and of course I believe everybody that this is really annoying.

I would suggest to lift this ban now. I think everybody had enough time to calm down about this thread.

Comment

• While I very much disagree with how gordboy presented it, I do agree with his main point.

A full year without a proper release is not how a package should be handled. Definitely not a driver.

Comment

• Originally posted by curaga View Post
              While I very much disagree with how gordboy presented it, I do agree with his main point.

A full year without a proper release is not how a package should be handled. Definitely not a driver.
              They didn't go a full year without a proper release, just a full year between the non-KMS release and the KMS one (during which the kernel side was being nailed down as well). They were making 6.12.x releases in the interim.

Comment

• Originally posted by curaga View Post
                While I very much disagree with how gordboy presented it, I do agree with his main point.

The thing is a guy that doesn't pay developers for their work has no right to demand anything. This is not a ******* charity.

The "unreleased" driver has been in Ubuntu since 9.10 and even longer in Fedora, and *now* people want an official release, not realizing they have probably been using the driver for *half a year*.

-Marek

Comment

• I think he was barking up the wrong tree but he did come up with some truly excellent verbiage. Offensive perhaps, but very entertaining.

Comment

• Originally posted by mcgreg View Post
                    As I said earlier, ignoring that guy would probably solve the issue. Additionally, the thread could have simply been closed
                    It wasn't about any technical thing but just a quite rude demand of a(n) (upset) person.

This is an unfortunate issue that this all went kind of out of control.
                    IMHO banning should really be the very very last possibility to act against somebody.
                    OK, I don't know what he said in those PMs and of course I believe everybody that this is really annoying.

I would suggest to lift this ban now. I think everybody had enough time to calm down about this thread.
                    I agree with 'mcgreg.'

Also, I agree that the main problem would be if he was spamming the ATI/AMD posters here with 'demands.' To me, that is more of a problem than his thread. What he wants is people participating even if it's just to make 'noise.' Even if he has the best intentions in pressuring faster development of the driver, his method is silly. Call me crazy but no one is going to 'shame' someone into doing anything. It seems like it was just an 'attention tactic,' nothing else.

The problem in the thread exacerbated when people tried to argue with him and got sucked in. If they let it go or just stuck to the main arguments and ignored the rhetoric and insults, then it might have been halfway productive.

Just my two cents...

Comment

• There is more to it than just lynching.
                      The OP was most definitely the instigator. He started off very rude and used every opportunity to escalate it. Yes, others responded badly to him, but they really wouldn't have started a conflict of this nature without being taunted by the OP.

And further, the OP came right out and spat in the management over the whole banning idea, as if he was above the law. This in and of itself is reason for a short timeout.

Remember that he isn't being thrown out permanently, this is a temporary banning and an example to the community that we are expected to respect the rules.

Originally posted by yotambien View Post
                      This thread is a monument to mob rule. It reminds me of 'The chase', with the final lynching scene included. It's definitely got the same sense of inevitability.

The majority of people posting here have not supplied an ounce of content. Instead they hypocritically played the part of the outraged advocates and reached for their repertoire of insults. Hypocritically, because I don't believe for a moment that the same bunch that calls for a ban while calling names can easily be offended by impolite manners. I do believe, though, that being constantly reminded that they surely sound like a pack of teenage noobs, as well as their inability to counter Gordboy with words, must have made some of them go completely nuts.

Interestingly, the thread was dead and gone in its second page already, when Alex Deucher aseptically (and smartly) informed about the development progress. The crowd, however, was not satisfied: sinners don't deserve a fair answer, and downhill it went. Reading their comments one wonders why they were not banned too. As early as in the first page somebody describes Gordboy as a horrible person who has suffered unimaginable atrocities in the past, clearly in need of medical attention. Nobody thinks there is a slight disconnect between this sort of crap and the original subject and scope of this thread? The show continued for all the following nine pages in a similar vein. So, if mere insults do not grant somebody a ban, as it seems obvious to be the case, what really does?

That's not exactly what I remember happening in the other thread. Gordboy was most definitely not alone doing those horrible things you describe. He may have seemed to be often the one doing so, but that's a distortion introduced by the participation of a gang of people against him, diluting the authorship of insults among an amorphous mass of different nicks.

Absolutely. I can think of some regulars here, including myself, who'd be banned by now if it only depended on the votes of some nutters.

Your forum, your rules. People will make their own conclusions from what the rules are and what is done. My opinion: at the very least, the ban was arbitrary since it only affected one of the persons involved in the argument. It's as if you based your decision solely on past events--of which in any case we have a different reading.

For me the question is what are you trying to say. And since you are one of the most calm and pondering forum dwellers, I do assume that it was not due to malice that you left in the air that bit of information, and that you actually were trying to add something of relevance with it. You will understand that nobody would care if Gordboy sent you some love private messages...

Comment

Working...
                      X