Catalyst vs. Mesa Performance With Ubuntu 10.04

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rob2687 View Post
    Making a window wobbly and drawing it on a cube doesn't mean you're gonna be running Crysis anytime soon. There is lots of stuff missing in the open source 3D drivers.
    No doubt about it. _But_ I will never be running crysis on my Radeon 9700 anyhow.
    try the no backfill patch for the xserver
    it will increase your composited desktop performacne drastically.
    Say where do I find this patch and how do I apply it, some sort of guide is appriciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Rovanion View Post
      No doubt about it. _But_ I will never be running crysis on my Radeon 9700 anyhow.

Say where do I find this patch and how do I apply it, some sort of guide is appriciated.
      if you are using ubuntu karmic, just add this ppa and update:

if you are using debian, or lucid, or for some reason you want to compile it yourself:
      On my dell studio XPS 1640 with ati HD3670, the patch from Félix Kuehling works perfectly (really thanks félix !!), minimize and resize windows are no longer a problem for me :-) If someone wants to apply the patch, here is a little sum up : first, DL the patch : http://launchpadlibrarian.net/32728179/xserver-xorg-backclear.patch then in a terminal do : sudo apt-get build-dep xorg-server apt-get source xorg-server cd xorg-server-1.6.3 patch -p1 < /path/to/xserver-xorg-backclear.patch s...

just change the xserver version numbers accordingly.

i dont know how to do this in other distros, but im positive somebody else in this forum will help you out with that

Comment

Thank you for the help, I will try it out once I get home.
        Interesting, this may result in Gnome-Shell actually working on my newer computer. Not that it works on the 9700 really, a lot of graphical defects.

Comment

Originally posted by Rovanion View Post
          Thank you for the help, I will try it out once I get home.
          Interesting, this may result in Gnome-Shell actually working on my newer computer. Not that it works on the 9700 really, a lot of graphical defects.
          just to make sure we talk about the same thing.
          this will increase your desktop performance with fglrx drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by Pfanne View Post
            just to make sure we talk about the same thing.
            this will increase your desktop performance with fglrx drivers.
            Yes pardon me for my inconsistency.
            Gnome Shell is currently not working correctly on either of my ATi powered computers. The one older with a Radeon 9700 and the newer with an HD4850.
            This patch will as you say hopefully bring up performance on my fglrx powered HD4850, possibly to such a state so that even Gnome Shell runs smoothly.

Comment

The patch did not seem to work a whole lot.
              Well well, it was worth a try atleast.

Comment

compare latest gallium3D and proprietary drivers

hi,

it would be great to see a side-to-side comparison of the latest gallium3D enhanced open-source ATI drivers against the proprietary ATI drivers on something like an ATI Mobility Radeon? HD 5470.

cheers

Comment

There is no such thing called "gallium3D open-source ATI driver for Evergreen" So it won't be possible...

In detail:
                  R300-R500: classic dri driver and gallium driver
                  R600-R700: classic dri driver; work in progress for gallium driver
                  Evergreen: nothing (I guess it's being worked on also)

Comment

are we due for another match?

Comment

Originally posted by Wielkie G View Post
                      There is no such thing called "gallium3D open-source ATI driver for Evergreen" So it won't be possible...

In detail:
                      R300-R500: classic dri driver and gallium driver
                      R600-R700: classic dri driver; work in progress for gallium driver
                      Evergreen: nothing (I guess it's being worked on also)
                      evergreen support is included in the r600 classic and r600 gallium drivers.

Comment

Working...
                      X