Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catalyst vs. Mesa Performance With Ubuntu 10.04

Phoronix: Catalyst vs. Mesa Performance With Ubuntu 10.04

Over the past two weeks, we have published a variety of articles looking at different aspects of the open-source Linux graphics stack. These articles range from comparing the Gallium3D and classic Mesa performance to comparing the kernel mode-setting and user-space mode-setting performance. Today we are continuing with this interesting Linux graphics coverage by publishing benchmarks comparing the performance of the Radeon Mesa DRI graphics driver to AMD's Catalyst 10.4 proprietary driver. Is the open-source driver finally catching up to AMD's highly optimized driver? Continue reading to find out.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice benchmark. Thank you for that test.

But it would be fairer if you had used mesa 7.8 instead of 7.7. The used catalyst is also a beta driver.

Comment

great article. more, please!

I would like to see a side to side comparison of ATI vs Nvidia performance in Linux at some point. Maybe a nice table for features that are implemented in (a) ATI closed-source, (b) ATI open-source, (b) Nvidia closed-source and (d) Nvidia nouveau drivers...

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix
        We began this testing by looking at the MPlayer H.264 video playback performance by monitoring the CPU usage when playing a sample file using X-Video (...)
        The CPU usage was actually slightly higher with the Catalyst 10.4 package, but by only about 2%
        I think you are being very nice to fglrx here. The peak CPU usage was considerably higher with fglrx in this test. And that's what can make the difference between playable and not playable. Besides with all the tearing and washed out colors only a Barbarian would actually use Xv with fglrx .

Comment

i think we could use some tests with older hardware that's still fglrx supported.

Comment

it's just a matter of facts. if you want serious 3d performance, then you'll have to use fglrx. things might change, but for sure not before mid 2011, around ubuntu 11.04 .

Comment

Maybe a bit offtopic. but are there any test like gtkperf for qt4 ? and could those be included in such articles in the future ?

Comment

nice!, It should be very interesting to test mesa 7.9-devel too!! using xorg-edgers ppa.

Comment

Regarding 2D performance, you should try it with the Direct2D acceleration settings as right now you are comparing hw xrender vs software.

Comment

It's nice to see X-Plane among these tests. I thought it wouldn't even start with mesa and it works! I can't understand though why you posted only the fps at the highest resolution - it would have been interesting to see how it worked at 1280x1024 and other normal resolutions.

Comment

Working...
                    X