Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to help!

So here is the deal:
    I have a Radeon 5770, I can't use it for anything but 2D with the driver, I am pisses because of this and I want to help with the development of these drivers.

I am not a retard (at least not when it comes to learning new things ) but I have never used a versioning control system. I do know what they do and how they work. I have compiled some hello world stuff with gcc and g++ and I know some basic commands. I have also used wiki software, IRC and I have translated english to dutch texts in the past.

I know that for starters my efforts can't be heroic so the first step would be pullimg the latest linux, X and Mesa code, compile it, set it up, test it and report bugs.

My question would be: can somebody give me some advice on where to start and redirect me to some documentation on this where possible? That would be greatly appreciated!

The Git Community Book is pretty good both as an introduction and reference for git (the VCS used for all projects you mentioned):

This thread is probably relevant:

(Especially this link: http://www.x.org/wiki/Development/Do...VideoCardsWork )

Comment

Oh, and familiarizing yourself with diff and patch is also a good basic skill, if you haven't already done so of course

Comment

Thanks a lot!
        I have to go to bed early and tommorow I have to work till the afternoon. I will dive into it after that as soon as I can!

Comment

This: http://www.x.org/wiki/radeonBuildHowTo ?

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
            So here is the deal:
            I have a Radeon 5770, I can't use it for anything but 2D with the driver, I am pisses because of this and I want to help with the development of these drivers.
            Well, I've tentatively looked into trying to get some of the acceleration hooks working with the evergreens, but the kernel doesn't seem quite there yet (Modesetting's fine, but the code to initialise the accelerator is all ifdef'd out - I assume we're waiting for AMD to clear some more IP to finish this off?).

Comment

@ Dustman,
              There's enough for me to do:
              Learning how to build it.
              Learning git.
              Reporting bugs?
              Learning Gallium (softpipe).

Is everything done that can currently be done with evergreen Gallium?

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
                @ Dustman,
                There's enough for me to do:
                Learning how to build it.
                Learning git.
                Reporting bugs?
                Learning Gallium (softpipe).

Is everything done that can currently be done with evergreen Gallium?
                Evergreen will probably be covered by a variant of the r600 driver, which is being done by Jerome Glisse. You can track progress here.

Comment

That's no problem; I also have a 3300. That's a r600, right?

Comment

Yeah, that's the one.

On the subject, I wonder if anyone's looking to hire another developer for the open drivers? My current contract expires in three months, after which I'll be looking for a job, and I'd be quite interested in working on the drivers full time.

Comment

Working...
                    X