TV-Out Lucid - Output S-video disconnected

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by molar View Post
    I'm trying to get the video overlay to show in full screen only on the TV, and not on the desktop. it's called "theater mode" in the proprietary ATI driver. do you know by any chance if this can be done?
    Just enable dualhead with the tv as one of the heads and run the video fullscreen on that head.

Comment

@agd5f:
      I've opened up a new topic, since it's not related to the first problem

@xeros:
      I've saved your patch, I'm still playing with 9.10 and want to solve the TV theatre mode problem on a more stable release. as soon as I figure out how to do this, I'll use your kernel. thx again.

Comment

@agd5f:
        forgot the topic:
        http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23827

Comment

@xeros:
          I've saved your patch, I'm still playing with 9.10 and want to solve the TV theatre mode problem on a more stable release. as soon as I figure out how to do this, I'll use your kernel. thx again.
          It's not my patch, it's agd5f's and all the thanks should go to him :-)
          Kernel that I've built is Ubuntu Lucid kernel + two patches get from 2.6.34-rc5:
          1. drm/radeon/kms: disable the tv encoder when tv/cv is not in use
          2. drm/radeon/kms: fix tv dac conflict resolver

Btw. don't you have any problems getting S-video output on Kermic, too? Is it working all the times?
          What card do you have?

I for example have to change many times "tv standard" between pal and ntsc to get one of these on the S-video output. I'm still not sure if it's hardware or driver bug. Yes, I know I should bug report that but I don't have any clue how to get any logs of this problem - everything looks like it works properly from kernel, Xorg, xrandr logs... (nothing is changing there after I get proper output). I'll report it soon, but I'd like to know if anyone has simmilar problem first.

Comment

I've managed to see video one time on the TV and this was on Karmic. I can't recall the exact steps I've did, but I don't remember switching between PAL and NTSC. my TV is multi system anyway.

I've got a radeon 9550 card. In karmic I need to set in the xorg.conf in order to have it permanently. I'm trying to figure out this now. but when I've done the xrandr commands from here
            http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ATI#TV_out

it worked great.

Comment

@xeros:
              the update worked great! I'll stick with 10.04 and try to make the zaphod mode, dualhead, theater mode, or whatever it's called to work.

Comment

@xeros:
                the update worked great! I'll stick with 10.04 and try to make the zaphod mode, dualhead, theater mode, or whatever it's called to work.
                Nice to hear that.
                Could you please make some more testing in yours free time (it's not a rush as I can get picture on TV in max few minutes by mixing xrandr commands changing standards) - do you have always S-video TV Out working?
                I've read the link you've post and the commands are the same I did on older Kubuntu versions, too.
                I'm thinking if my problem with TV standard activation is really a hardware or graphic card BIOS bug as our cards are quite simmilar and use the same driver - I've got AGP Radeon 9600 (RV350).
                Btw. my TV is multistandard, too (accepts both NTSC and PAL).

Comment

Originally posted by xeros View Post
                  I've changed the version number so it's not going to be replaced or break by simple update/upgrade but you won't have further security fixes/updates of this version.

$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:xeros/xeros-test
                  $ sudo apt-get install linux-image-2.6.32-22xeros-generic linux-headers-2.6.32-22xeros-generic

and reboot.

i386 packages are now built, too.
                  I'm testing it right now...

I tried above commands, and I get an error while running second command. Any clue ?
                  -----
                  ~$ sudo apt-get install linux-image-2.6.32-22xeros-generic linux-headers-2.6.32-22xeros-generic
                  Reading package lists... Done
                  Building dependency tree
                  Reading state information... Done
                  E: Couldn't find package linux-image-2.6.32-22xeros-generic
                  ------

Comment

@xeros:

do you want specific data or settings that I can pull from my system? I'm using a gigabyte card on a gigabyte K8ns pro motherboard. Please tell me if you want to check something specific.

I've installed VLC and configured it to show the full screen on the TV using the XVideo overlay settings in the program. I've encoutered some loss of gamma (known problem) and set it during the player. The video isn't perfect to my tase, but I think that's more of a decoder problem. will have to check it out later.

anyway, I think that the dekstop is a bit sluggish sometimes, another problem is small vertical lines on the right end of the screen when I open a menu (occurs only sometimes) and the visual effects always revert to "none" even after I set them to "normal". I really hoped that ubuntu will supply at least the same graphic performance of WinXP, but it give a bit more sluggish graphic response.

Comment

Originally posted by mplsrover View Post
                      I tried above commands, and I get an error while running second command. Any clue ?
                      -----
                      ~$ sudo apt-get install linux-image-2.6.32-22xeros-generic linux-headers-2.6.32-22xeros-generic
                      Reading package lists... Done
                      Building dependency tree
                      Reading state information... Done
                      E: Couldn't find package linux-image-2.6.32-22xeros-generic
                      ------
                      Sorry, it should be:
                      $ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:xeros/xeros-test
                      $ sudo apt-get update
                      $ sudo apt-get install linux-image-2.6.32-22xeros-generic linux-headers-2.6.32-22xeros-generic

Comment

Working...
                      X