Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Woah, AMD Releases OpenGL 4.0 Linux Support!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woah, AMD Releases OpenGL 4.0 Linux Support!

Phoronix: Woah, AMD Releases OpenGL 4.0 Linux Support!

Woah, here comes a pleasant surprise from AMD with their Catalyst Linux driver. AMD yesterday released a Catalyst 10.3 Linux driver that really didn't bring anything too exciting (and it still doesn't support X.Org Server 1.7), but today they've delivered a new preview driver that's based on Catalyst 10.3 and it brings OpenGL 3.3/4.0 support!..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

First!!!
    Can someone chech is this version xserver 1.7 compatible.And I know that it is based on 10.3...,soooo... still...tell me

Comment

Buahaha, AMD beat Nvidia to OpenGL 4. This is news, ironic.

Comment

I started post with hate and despair It took me a while to understand that this is actully good news. :P

Comment

Originally posted by kUrb1a View Post
          I started post with hate and despair It took me a while to understand that this is actully good news. :P
          Lol, I was shocked myself :P.

This is great news. I hope that this will also fix the issues with the Heaven 2.0 benchmark.

Keep it up ATI and maybe we will grow to like your Linux support :P

Comment

Yay! Features!
            Now if only ATI hadn't declared half their cards (including my X1600 Pro) "legacy" and stopped developing drivers for them!

Comment

wtf am I supposed to do with OpenGL 4? Play Gods of War 3? wtf... How about all 5xxx cards get supported first, how about we get hardware acceleration, how about, etc, etc, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by kUrb1a View Post
                Can someone chech is this version xserver 1.7 compatible
                As I understand it, AMD's plan is to release 1.7 compatible drivers as soon as all of the major distributions have upgraded to 1.8.

Comment

Originally posted by MiUNX View Post
                  wtf am I supposed to do with OpenGL 4? Play Gods of War 3? wtf... How about all 5xxx cards get supported first, how about we get hardware acceleration, how about, etc, etc, etc.
                  How about creating an awesome OpenGL 4 game and releasing it on Linux? You know you want to...

Looks like my next card will be AMD. They now provide proper OpenGL support in the non-free driver and they help the free driver achieve that same goal.

Comment

Holy fsck!!!!

*excitement excitement excitement*

Go AMD!

Take that you-...

*Okey cool down*

Good... Turning point for nVidia's driver game... Started with the AMD FLOSS driver and now this...

Let's have a look:
                    -OpenGL 4.0
                    -Crossfire
                    -Catalyst Control Center
                    -GPU recovery
                    -Power management
                    -EyeFinity (which not a single rich nerd without a life will ever use )

Up next:
                    -Beating nVidia at their last stronghold (namely less bugs and faster X11 support)

The latter, please, plix, plox?

Comment

Working...
                    X