Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Woah, AMD Releases OpenGL 4.0 Linux Support!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

*** Brain Error Log***
    Tesselation support still missing, WTF? unigine heaven 2.0 with OpenGL amd Tesselation not available... me confused!
    ***End Of Brain Error Log***

OK Good to hear that AMD has OpenGL 3.3/4.0 support before nVidia but still i would like to know what about AMD tesselation for OpenGL 3.2. I would be really glad to see the Ungine Heaven 2.0 benchmark running with tesselation on my Linux box....

Comment

Tessellation is supported by the driver, but it performs poorly in 10.1 and 10,4 beta(no idea how this performs though). The Heaven benchmark simply doesn't use tessellation by default. You can enable it in the config file in the data folder. In fact even 3xxx and 4xxx cards can use tessellation in OpenGl

Comment

Using OpenGL 4 it would be possible to use tesselation up to level 64 instead of 15. But for that Unigine has to update the benchmark.

Comment

oh good to hear that! thanks for the info guys! oh by the way does nVdia's drivers has support for tesselation too?

Comment

Originally posted by kUrb1a View Post
            I started post with hate and despair It took me a while to understand that this is actully good news. :P
            ME TOO!!!

THIS IS REALLY GREAT NEWS!!! The NEWS that i have been waiting for so long time!!
            TODAY AMD REALLY REALLY MAKE MY DAY!! GOD BLESS !!!

IM SOOOO HAPPPYYYYYYYYY !!!

Comment

Originally posted by dopehouse View Post
              I notice some little performance boost in HeroesOfNewerth. With the 10-2 driver and before, I got little lags. But with this driver, everything runs very smoothly.
              I tried it with Nexuiz, and my frame rate went from 18 to 30 FPS at max settings. Everything seems quite a bit speedier.

Comment

Originally posted by Setlec View Post
                *** Brain Error Log***
                Tesselation support still missing, WTF? unigine heaven 2.0 with OpenGL amd Tesselation not available... me confused!
                ***End Of Brain Error Log***

OK Good to hear that AMD has OpenGL 3.3/4.0 support before nVidia but still i would like to know what about AMD tesselation for OpenGL 3.2. I would be really glad to see the Ungine Heaven 2.0 benchmark running with tesselation on my Linux box....
                Tesselation support in OpenGL is only supported by ATI. The hardware has existed since the Radeon HD 2xxx series, but has been largely ignored. From my tests of it on my Radeon HD 4650, performance is pretty poor. I am not sure if that is due to the hardware being slow, or unoptimized drivers, or both. Point being, if you have an ATI card you can use tesselation, as long as you have a HD 2xxx series card and plan on running OpenGL. It would be interesting to see how fast OpenGL tesselation is in Windows...

Comment

Originally posted by kUrb1a View Post
                  First!!!
                  Can someone chech is this version xserver 1.7 compatible.And I know that it is based on 10.3...,soooo... still...tell me
                  Very sorry for any rude language to follow but I'm ever so slightly inebriated.
                  ATI for the first time ever gave OpenGL support before nVidia and you're b****ing about xserver support?
                  While I understand that it is of course annoying not being capable to use the driver, I think if you have any business using fglrx the very first thing in your comment shouldn't have been about xserver. It would like in an armistice you'd first ask yourself what you're going to do with all your weapons.
                  </rant>
                  Sorry but this is to momentous news to let someone poop on it. Now I'm cool bro.
                  Maybe Valve move to OSX and openGL is putting some fire under ATI's openGL team. Valve has always been buddies with ATI.

Comment

Well ATI may be the first this time, but tesselation has got a huge performance impact up to 75%! Lets see how Heaven with OpenGL 4 support will perform.

Comment

I hate to be Mr. Negative around here, and I know this is a beta driver, but...

Since the driver doesn't work on Lucid, I popped in an old Ubuntu 8.10 Live CD I had lying around and installed the driver in there. All the Unigine benchmarks give a black screen and spam the console with shader compiler errors.

Code:
                      Fragment shader failed to compile with the following errors:
                      ERROR: 0:313: error(#132) Syntax error: 'sample' parse error
                      ERROR: error(#273) 1 compilation errors.  No code generated
                      Anyone else tested this driver with any of the Unigine benchmarks on an Evergreen card?

Comment

Working...
                      X