No announcement yet.

Radeon 3D Performance: Gallium3D vs. Classic Mesa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i never compile by hand and use portage. now using gallium or not is choice of commenting one line or not. and it always fresh but still no good way to choose something (the closest analogue in gentoo is switching between mesa and proprietary libGL which must die too)

Comment

Originally posted by dfx. View Post
      this is pretty stupid way to "enable" anything 0_o. especially if you are using "package manager" for those compilations, that "portage" thing.

should i completely wipe out r300_dri.so binary after compilation and use "manual" per-file\folder installation in ebuild instead of 'emake DESTDIR="${D}" install'-directive or to spoil the system by hands ? pretty stupid...
      In Debian, something like this would be handled by the alternatives system, doesn't portage have something similar?

Comment

Originally posted by whizse View Post
        In Debian, something like this would be handled by the alternatives system, doesn't portage have something similar?
        i _just_ said:
        closest analogue in gentoo is switching between mesa and proprietary libGL
        that would be via eselect

and what i think about such things:
        must die

Comment

What happend to the promised follow-up article?

Comment

Originally posted by Flyser View Post
            What happend to the promised follow-up article?
            Remember this is how the Phoronix HQ looked for the past few days:

Comment

Yesterday I managed to test Gallium in my laptop for the very first time thanks to the small "tutorial" from Corbin.

I own a Dell Inspiron 6400 with an ATI Radeon X1300 mobility (or something like that). Since the system is not very powerfull, the difference is huge.

Playing Enemy Territory at 800x600:
              - The classic driver delivers 20fps in a stable fashion. Seldom reaching peaks of 30fps. Sometimes falling to 14fps.
              - The r300g delivers 30fps. Sometimes reaching above 40fps. Seldom falling to 20fps.

With these refresh rates, you just feel it, making the game playable. The classic driver died for me yesterday. Thanks for making that happen.

I am using gentoo with the packages from the repository (mesa-9999, ...), so I don't experience that constant frame rate with the resolution (I wish!!). When switching to 1024x768 in both cases falls to about 6fps-8fps (sometimes a little more sometimes even 4fps). I don't see the huge difference between both drivers that I saw with 800x600, so it looks like a bottleneck somewhere else.

Is there something to test OpenGL 2.1 out there? I would appreciate if it weren't a big application.

Cheers,
              Jos? M.

Comment

Originally posted by mantielero View Post
                Playing Enemy Territory at 800x600:
                - The classic driver delivers 20fps in a stable fashion. Seldom reaching peaks of 30fps. Sometimes falling to 14fps.
                - The r300g delivers 30fps. Sometimes reaching above 40fps. Seldom falling to 20fps.
                you should try the classic driver on UMS - that should be way faster than any of these...

Comment

/

Sorry to bother with probably easy stuff, but I have tried:
                  .... radeon.modeset=0

when booting and it does startx anymore.

Does this mean that I have to recompile:
                  - mesa?
                  - libdrm?
                  - xf86-video-ati?

Thanks in advance,
                  Jos? M.

Comment

Originally posted by mantielero View Post
                    Sorry to bother with probably easy stuff, but I have tried:
                    .... radeon.modeset=0

when booting and it does startx anymore.

Does this mean that I have to recompile:
                    - mesa?
                    - libdrm?
                    - xf86-video-ati?
                    do you have installed mesa with gallium system wide? if so you have to revert to classical mesa as gallium requires KMS.

Comment

it worked

It worked as you said. Thanks for that.

With that configuration I get >30fps with mesa classic. It reaches quite often 40fps and I have managed to see up to 50fps. Nevertheless, there were LOTS of artifacts that I didn't get with KMS. With one of the maps, there was so many artifacts that I got only 13fps in an stable fashion so I had to leave the game. I didn't get those artifacts with classic and KMS.

Cheers,
                      Jos? M.

Comment

Working...
                      X