Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Fglrx builds Available

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
    FYI: A new fglrx version with the long awaited X server 1.7 support just hit the Ubuntu Lucid repositories.

Let me now how it sucks
    New Source

is now out.

Builds at

This version works on my HD5750 under Lucid.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Beard View Post
      Actually the source has remained the same. It's just the Ubuntu packaging scripts that have changed. Apparently they added some XvBA patch from Kano. Won't do you no good though, because AMD has chosen to deprive owners of HD5xxx cards of the XvBA feature.

Comment

"Chosen to deprive" sounds so evil. "Don't have it working yet" is probably a more accurate description.
        Test signature

Comment

Debian

Well the new version is in the debian sid repository now as well. Running squeeze here but was able to add the sid repo and install it.

How is the performance compared to the open source driver for everyone else? Seems pretty good here, especially on temperature control.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
            "Chosen to deprive" sounds so evil.
            Yes it does . But there's an element of truth in it.

"Don't have it working yet" is probably a more accurate description.
            Let me guess. The reason it isn't working yet is because nobody is working on it! And that's a choice ATI/AMD made.

Btw. Didn't you purchase an Evergreen card yourself? Have you got it working on Linux yet, and if so are you satisfied with the experience either driver gives you? Or maybe you have traded it in for a NVidia card

Comment

Update

Well, I spoke too soon. The temps were better by a few C over the open source, but the video quality was crappy for flash. I can play full screen 1080p with the open source no problems, with the fglrx driver it was extremely jumpy and hanging the system. Very odd. I also noticed that even just moving windows around the screen caused some redrawing that was way too noticeable.

Comment

My understanding was that people were working on it, but now I have one person saying "yes" and one saying "no"

I bought an HD5670 for trying out the open source drivers, but the board is actually still sitting on my dining room table. I can give it a try with fglrx, I guess.

No, I haven't traded it in for an NVidia card.
                Test signature

Comment

Maybe you need some friends to show you the benefit of vdpau

Comment

I guess...

It's not clear where vdpau is going to help me though, given that downloaded video and dial-up internet aren't really the most compatible things in the world.

Blu-ray discs go in the Blu-ray player and show up on the big screen. Call me a luddite if you must
                    Test signature

Comment

Well all you need is broadband, then you can try several cool things like xbmc, maybe combined with navi-x. i modified that a tiny bit to show max res youtube videos which look much better than using a webbrowser. xbmc can directly use vdpau. works also great for m2ts - including subtitle support. vlc has got also subtitle support for m2ts, that would in theory work with xvba because it used a vaapi backend. In theory because i tested it today again it was broken - even with simple l4.0 encoded h264 from youtube (vlc git can even open directly youtube urls). When you would add your pc to your tv then it would be much cooler. But without broadband you loose lots of features thats clear.

Comment

Working...
                      X