No announcement yet.

Trouble with Radeon KMS on Debian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With the 2.6.32-3 kernel (no .33 drm bits), I can boot into a KMS desktop with no 3d, and running the proper resolution.

When I try to do the same with the 2.6.32-4 (or even the 2.6.33 from experimental that I can't ultimately use without the installable headers that it currently lacks), I get a black screen on boot and then my monitor just shuts off.

If I try the .32-4 or .33 kernel without trying to enable kms, I get 3d and a maximum resolution of 1152x864 instead of 1600x1200.

I figure there's something I can do with an xorg.conf (like for starters creating one!) to fix the resolution issue, but it seems like there's always at least one upstream project that isn't current enough in Debian for me to not need fglrx anymore. The radeonBuildHowTo says that I shouldn't be able to use KMS on my rv740 without mesa 7.8-rc1, but I've been able to use with the 3d-less .32 kernel.

Apparently I can't even get a kernel built anymore either, my attempts to build-in the firmware files keep failing with zero useful information being output by the build process upon failure. "error 2" yeah that's useful!

Comment

I decided to try the Liquorix kernel (.33) and bim bam boom, 3D+KMS on my 4770!

[drm] Initialized drm 1.1.0 20060810
      [drm] radeon kernel modesetting enabled.
      [drm] radeon: Initializing kernel modesetting.

OpenGL vendor string: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
      OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI R600 (RV740 94B3) 20090101 TCL DRI2
      OpenGL version string: 1.4 Mesa 7.7.1-DEVEL

6294 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1258.709 FPS (LOL)

Now just to configure it so I can use my TV and hopefully not have a desktop on it, and to see how hot my card is getting, and if the lower clock setting I believe bridgman posted about recently is needed and/or helps. *big grin* It's always nicer when stuff works nicely.

Am I correct in thinking there's no way I can currently get a temperature reading on my GPU?

Comment

Originally posted by oblivious_maximus View Post
        Am I correct in thinking there's no way I can currently get a temperature reading on my GPU?
        AFAICS not with a vanilla kernel; patches to allow access to the i2c bus are available in drm-radeon-testing branch; chances are that the monitoring chip driver is already available in hwmon subsystem.

Comment

I figured something like that was the case, thanks tettamanti.

My first attempts to get the svideo output going haven't been terribly fruitful as yet, so temps while running radeon aren't going to be the immediately pressing concern I thought they would.

Comment

Debian kernel minor version number

Originally posted by oblivious_maximus View Post
            The new 2.6.32 kernel that arrived in unstable a day or two ago has the DRM bits from 2.6.33. The Debian version is 2.6.32-10, but it shows up in /boot as 2.6.32-4 for some reason I don't understand.
            The minor version is incremented by Debian kernel packager only when the kernel ABI changes. So this number does not follow upstream kernel 4th number.

HTH

Comment

Working...
            X