No announcement yet.

R600 Gallium3D Shader Compiler Milestone Hit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gallium was expected be at 60-70% of the fglrx driver, am I right? Or was it 60-70% slower?

And Doom3 getting 20-30fps is enough for single player, but with which card?

Prey is running a heavily modified id Tech 4 engine and should squezes out more fps...

But where is the performance bottleneck in the Gallium3D? Is it in the kernel memmory management, the OpenGL Mesa state tracker and/or the Gallium drivers themselves (as in what exposes the API?)

I hope it isn't in the last one, because then big speed gains can be won across the entire board of graphic cards...

Comment

Originally posted by pvtcupcakes View Post
      However last I checked the shadows are messed up in Doom 3, so I had to disable them. And the performance isn't that great. I'd say Doom 3 and Prey were getting about 20-30fps on Medium/High. I didn't benchmark them; but they were playable.
      which gpu?

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
        Gallium was expected be at 60-70% of the fglrx driver, am I right? Or was it 60-70% slower?
        i think it was bridgman who said, they were hoping to achieve 60 to 70 % of the fglrx speed.
        but i think this will suffice for most people + you will probably have a comparable performance while runnning a game AND having compositing activated since, the fglrx driver have a steep performance drop in that area.
        or at least thats what i experienced.

Comment

Originally posted by Pfanne View Post
          which gpu?
          Radeon 4850

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
            As I recall it, the 60-70%-as-fast figure Bridgman quoted was prior to CONFIG_BREAK_ALL_GRAPHICS=y and Gallium becauae of fundamental architecture flaws. No?

Comment

Originally posted by Wyatt View Post
              As I recall it, the 60-70%-as-fast figure Bridgman quoted was prior to CONFIG_BREAK_ALL_GRAPHICS=y and Gallium becauae of fundamental architecture flaws. No?
              fundamental architecture flaws?

Comment

Originally posted by Wyatt View Post
                You mean the architecture of Gallium3D was meant for more general purpose graphics chips (in other words: ATI and nVidia cards of today) and not for older cards (let's say GeForce 3 and ATI Radeon 9800 pro (r300)?

Comment

Question.

Why does glxgears need a shader compiler? It doesn't use any shaders.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                    Question.

As I understand it, it's the same principle as needing the 3D engine to do 2D acceleration, i.e. they got rid of the hardware dedicated to doing basic flat/gouraud shading and tri/quad lists in favor of the more flexible stuff, so now if an application requests the old fixed-function stuff the driver has to quietly set up the appropriate shader program(s) to make it happen.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                      Question.

What? Doesn't it have shadows?

A shader is a programmable texture, practically (well it is not but don't shoot me please). It can be used for water effects, but also for shadow (like in Quake 3 for example). (also for post processing effects/filters).

A shader = shade = shade of color = shadow... Profit!

Comment

Working...
                      X