No announcement yet.

New Open-Source ATI Driver Releases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can someone give a statement if this driver works better for HD content playback than fglrx?

Comment

I haven't tested these specific releases, but my Mythbuntu-based HTPC has been running using the xorg-edgers PPA for several months now. My fiance' and I watch live TV (over-the-air HD, displayed on a 720p display) on it all the time, and playback is smooth. When 10.04 gets released, I'll probably remove the PPA from my sources.list and stick with the stable version (assuming 6.13.0 gets pulled into lucid).

I used to use fglrx on it, and almost always had tearing/flickering issues (unless I made the right burnt offerings beforehand). Keep in mind that I haven't used fglrx in probably 6 months, so I can't really speak to the current state of the binary driver.

Comment

Keep Your Stupid Opinions To Yourself

Originally posted by elanthis View Post
        You know, speaking as someone whom is frequently labelled an asshole, pandering to someone that abusive is just silly. You're putting a ton of work into software he gets for free and was never promised nor guaranteed when he bought the hardware; nobody owes him a damn thing. I wouldn't expect you to help me after I called you incompetent, and I don't see why you'd help him, either. All you're doing it telling him and everyone else that the way to get what they want is to insult and demean you guys.
        Yes insulting. Yes demaining. And those idiot scum fully deserve it. A ton of work my arse. I've said it before and I'll say it again :

The radeon open-source project is a pathetic mess, run by idiots, with a supporting cast of morons who can't stand any criticism whatsoever.

If you guys want to avoid criticism then get some damn releases out instead of whining. And do me a favour, stop with the excuses, lies and misrepresentations.

Comment

Idiot scum?

Talk is cheap. You have the source, do it better.

Comment

Originally posted by rycodge View Post
            You can add the kernel HEAD repo to yast: http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...openSUSE_11.2/

I'm currently running 2.6.33-rc7 on 11.2 from this repo, but the servers appear to be down at the moment.
            They were up for me, but alas, it does not work as advertised.

Starting with radeon.modeset=1 ends in a garbled console, albeit with the right resolution.

dmesg burbs:

Code:
             24.720801] [drm] Initialized drm 1.1.0 20060810
             24.845087] [drm] radeon kernel modesetting enabled.
             24.846818] [drm] radeon: Initializing kernel modesetting.

[...]
            26.004056] fb0: radeondrmfb frame buffer device
            26.004073] [drm] Initialized radeon 2.0.0 20080528 for 0000:01:00.0 on minor 0
            I don't understand the two different versions of drm.

With modesetting enabled (and latest drm, mesa and xf86-driver-radeon from git installed) glxinfo tells me:

Code:
            direct rendering: No 

and:

OpenGL vendor string: Mesa Project                                                
            OpenGL renderer string: Software Rasterizer                                       
            OpenGL version string: 1.4 (2.1 Mesa 7.6)
            I guess it's back to Fedora, although I am quite impressed with the overall usability of SUsE.

Comment

Which chip? AFAIR, Mesa 7.6 is too old for r600+

Comment

Working...
              X