New Open-Source ATI Driver Releases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mudig View Post
    Am I correct when I assume that I won't get to use all these awesome new features on my openSUSE 11.2 (Kernel .31) and have to wait for 11.3?
    You can add the kernel HEAD repo to yast: http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...openSUSE_11.2/

I'm currently running 2.6.33-rc7 on 11.2 from this repo, but the servers appear to be down at the moment.

Comment

You know, speaking as someone whom is frequently labelled an asshole, pandering to someone that abusive is just silly. You're putting a ton of work into software he gets for free and was never promised nor guaranteed when he bought the hardware; nobody owes him a damn thing. I wouldn't expect you to help me after I called you incompetent, and I don't see why you'd help him, either. All you're doing it telling him and everyone else that the way to get what they want is to insult and demean you guys.

Comment

Originally posted by mudig View Post
        Am I correct when I assume that I won't get to use all these awesome new features on my openSUSE 11.2 (Kernel .31) and have to wait for 11.3?
        You need a newer kernel for KMS, but the rest of the features will work fine with UMS, although r6xx+ 3D requires 2.6.32 or newer.

Comment

A couple of points

First off, Mr Deuchar, one of the bugs (23208) was signed off by yourself. A case of selective memory, by the looks of it.

And Mr Bridgman, nobody asked anyone to organize the code so that what should be simple fixes, never see the light of day. Using the phrase "more intrusive fixes" is not merely inadequate, it is intentionally misleading.

And as for being someone who never contributes anything to open source, this is nonsense. The only reason I feel justified in kicking ass, is because I have contributed plenty, and continue to do so.

So what I'd like to see is this : either get 6.13 released, or leave the project and let more competent people take over. It's that simple. Apart from ALSA, I can't think of one other important area of linux where the failure to release has been so prevalent and damning.

Comment

Originally posted by gordboy View Post
            So what I'd like to see is this : either get 6.13 released, or leave the project and let more competent people take over. It's that simple. Apart from ALSA, I can't think of one other important area of linux where the failure to release has been so prevalent and damning.
            Did you not RTFA? 6.13-rc1 is already out, it's not a mystical pie in the sky anymore. The final should be here sometime this month.

Comment

The fix for Xv source clipping was fairly invasive and might have caused regressions in Xv and since very few apps use source clipping, I opted not to include it in the 6.12.x stable series. As I've said on several occasions, the 6.12-branch is the stable branch so distros that are using it should pull in the latest fixes as soon as they see fit, regardless of how often it's officially released.

The main difference between 6.12.x and master is KMS support which we couldn't release until the KMS API was locked down which didn't happen until 2.6.34.

Comment

I'm already using the 6.13 tre on Fedora 13:
                xorg-x11-drv-ati-6.13.0-0.21.20100219gite68d3a389.fc12.i686

This works fairly well alongide the 2.6.31 kernel with R600, but 2.6.32 is a little problematic - using an external DVI screen causes issues (f12 bug open)

However my question is power management. I saw "UMS power management" in that list - that's non-KMS right, and have also read that the radeon testing git tree is exploring KMS power management

So what are the current options with either 2.6.31 or .32 (in fedora) for power management using ATI?

In particular I have a W500.
                - Using radeon driver ~38W
                - Windows ~27W
                - Intel integrated ~19W

Comment

Originally posted by planetf1 View Post
                  So what are the current options with either 2.6.31 or .32 (in fedora) for power management using ATI?
                  If you want to use 2.6.31/32, your only option is to use the static UMS power management options. 2.6.34 should have the initial KMS dynamic power management.

Comment

Originally posted by rycodge View Post
                    You can add the kernel HEAD repo to yast: http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...openSUSE_11.2/

I'm currently running 2.6.33-rc7 on 11.2 from this repo, but the servers appear to be down at the moment.
                    Off Topic: I might warn against using that repo. I'm currently running 2.6.33 (64-bit) from it and KMS doesn't seem to work with it, though that could just be something with my setup. Also, every once in a while broken packages will show up there (most recently it happened last week,) so be sure to keep a back up kernel just in case.

Comment

Originally posted by gordboy View Post
                      And as for being someone who never contributes anything to open source, this is nonsense. The only reason I feel justified in kicking ass, is because I have contributed plenty, and continue to do so.

What I would like to see is less needless bitching. Looks like neither of us is going to get what we want.

BTW, if you are one of the more competent people, jump in and take over. It's obvious you have at least a little free time on your hands.

Comment

Working...
                      X