Radeon falling to software rendering with 2.6.33rc8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon falling to software rendering with 2.6.33rc8

I attempted to move to 2.6.33rc8 using the Ubuntu packages from ppa and find that radeon reverts to software rendering. I'm using radeon packages from xorg-edgers. The last 2.6.33 build to work fine was rc6. With rc7 radeon also falls back to software rendering. No messages in Xorg.0.log other than the usual "direct rendering is disabled" type entries.

Check dmesg if you are using KMS.

Comment

KMS is being used according to Xorg.0.log and my kernel log. No messages in dmesg though. However, looking through the kernel log I see:

Code:
      02/23/10 01:56:02 pm    r600_cp    Failed to load firmware "radeon/R700_rlc.bin"
      It's the same firmaware file I have been using on other builds of the kernel and there it works fine. I re-downloaded the firmware files as well just to be sure. Was there a change in said firmware that I'm not aware of?

Comment

Originally posted by Melcar View Post
        It's the same firmaware file I have been using on other builds of the kernel and there it works fine. I re-downloaded the firmware files as well just to be sure. Was there a change in said firmware that I'm not aware of?
        No, the ucode hasn't changed. Most likely you are using an initrd that's missing the ucode file.

Comment

It works fine up to rc6 though. How would I go about resolving this?

Comment

check your initrd, or if not using an initrd, check to make sure the kernel is looking in the right place for the ucode. might be /lib/firmware/`uname -r`/radeon rather than lib/firmware/radeon

Comment

Normally I move the firmware files to /lib/firmware/'uname -r'/radeon and it works. There is no /lib/firmware/radeon in my setup.

Comment

Maybe your udev changed.

Comment

how-to solve this bug

You need to install the rlc file BEFORE install the kernel, i had the same problem, its solved here

Comment

Originally posted by bugmenot View Post
                    You need to install the rlc file BEFORE install the kernel, i had the same problem, its solved here
                    http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showp...46&postcount=8

Thanks. That worked.

Comment

Working...
                    X