X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pedepy
    started a topic r300/500 rant

r300/500 rant

is anything new in store for us r300/r500 suckers that are stuck with the open source driver ? all i keep seeing of late on phoronix is news about r600, r700 and that evergreen crap.

i can't upgrade my card, it's a laptop. all of those other chips still have catalyst support afaik - mine is right about at the cut off mark of support drop, making it one of the most capable cards ati has decided to let go.

the open source driver is a nice effort but it's not a capable driver. outside of doing a little compositing and running glxgears, things are horrible. there are numerous applications - and i dont just mean through wine, im talking about linux native apps - that a quick google search will reveal run just fine using catalyst, nvidia or intel drivers. most 'bug reports' and complaints come from people like me who have to use the radeon drivers.

i dont think id be so worried if i kept seeing a steady stream of improvements to my incomplete driver; problem is all you guys seem to be on these days is providing support for cards that already have it, and while bringing superficially functional features like kms to the driver that can't even render sh*t to begin with.

so pls get you crap in order.

• bugmenot
    replied
    I notice that Airlie has committed his Radeon/Winsys rework for the r300g driver to Master a few hours ago.

I think this was to get the performance of the classic and gallium drivers to be on par.

Has anyone tested?

Leave a comment:

• amphigory
    replied
    I'm using gtkpod with iPhone. The only thing I've found I need iTunes for is firmware loading after jailbreak build with Pwnage Tool. Android is coming along nicely but still feels a bit rough compared to iPhone.

Leave a comment:

• chaos386
    replied
    Originally posted by squirrl View Post
    Also take a look at cell phone operating systems.

I was shopping for an Android phone today.

I reconsidered because I saw how smooth an IPhone scaled pages and zoomed. The Android I was looking at was jerky and sluggish.

I won't name names. But quality control in 2010/2009 is a beast.
    The iPhone's interface is very slick, but you have to use iTunes to load stuff onto it, so the experience as a whole is kind of a wash.

Leave a comment:

• highlandsun
    replied
    Originally posted by rob2687 View Post
    That's cause tech. is progressing at an even faster rate these days. Tons of new gadgets and what not are being churned out at an impressive rate and as usual everybody wants a piece of the pie but there are more companies than ever trying to get hands on a piece. I guess that kind of rapid development comes at a cost.
    Hard to actually call it progressing if it's all still half-baked at release time. "Progress" should mean that it actually works and has all of the kinks worked out.

Leave a comment:

• rob2687
    replied
    That's cause tech. is progressing at an even faster rate these days. Tons of new gadgets and what not are being churned out at an impressive rate and as usual everybody wants a piece of the pie but there are more companies than ever trying to get hands on a piece. I guess that kind of rapid development comes at a cost.

Leave a comment:

• squirrl
    replied
    Also take a look at cell phone operating systems.

I was shopping for an Android phone today.

I reconsidered because I saw how smooth an IPhone scaled pages and zoomed. The Android I was looking at was jerky and sluggish.

I won't name names. But quality control in 2010/2009 is a beast.

Leave a comment:

• squirrl
    replied
    My favorite article

To add some humor to the discussion.

http://excessive.wordpress.com/2007/...-a-desktop-os/

using Linux can be categorized in any of these terms:

YouDontReallyNeedThatAnyway(TM)
    BlameLiesOnOthers(TM)
    DesktopsAreGoingAway(TM)
    x86IsGoingAway(TM)
    MicrosoftIsDying(TM)
    YourStatsAreWrong(TM)
    YouDon?tReallyNeedThatFeature(TM)
    YouDon?tNeedTheLastVersionorLatestOfThatApp(TM)
    It?sYourFault(TM)
    It?sNotABugIt?sAFeature(TM)
    It?s just around the corner(TM)
    Linux Really Started Taking Off just 18 Months Ago (TM)
    CouldHaveBeenWrittenYesterday(TM)
    YouOnlyUseWindowsBecauseYouAreUsedToIt(TM)
    JustThinkLikeLintards(TM)
    EveryTimeYouReportBugsICommitMemoryLeaks(TM)
    TheDailyThingThatWillTakeLinuxMainstream(TM)
    YouCanSwitchToLinuxNow(TM)
    LinuxThreadingIsAFeatureNotABug(TM)
    MoveItIntoUserSpace(TM).
    ILiveInaFantasyWorld(TM)

You can't trust these guys to do the right thing pedepy. OSS developers will rewrite critical sections of code. Distribution maintainers will ship beta to promote the newness of their product. This is a huge issue with Ubuntu. Mark is so poised on shipping 6 month intervals that he forgets how fast they are changing things. Good example, watch G3d be included in the popular distributions this year's release.

Two Golden Rules of Software Development.
    1. If doing the right thing breaks support then do the wrong thing.
    2. If you can't timebox it for release then don't do it.

I'm a software developer and I see the behavior patterns. There is a good book called Pragmatic Thinking & Learning. It teaches to access your skill level (Dreyfus Model).

Think about the way some of these guys are operating. Amateurs.
    Release 0.5 → 10 reported bugs
    Release 0.6 → 5 bug fixes, 15 reported bug ( 5 still left over and labeled as inconclusive )
    Release 0.7 → 12 reported bugs 2 fixes ( 3 left over, 6 deleted, 8 new ones, 1 solved his self)

Recently Linus spoke about the Regressions going up for each release of the Linux kernel. He apparently pissed off Alan Cox on the tty driver. Doesn't matter your the best baller if you're not a team player your team will lose.

I don't even begin to believe I'm an expert. I'm more a modest moderate.

But Dan's advice isn't far off. There is nothing wrong with sticking with an old version, that is in the Linux community. 8.04 Ubuntu is a highly stable environment. I had no issues when I ran it. I should also add that it could be worse. Imagine yourself with an Intel graphics chipset. You absolutely have to run the latest distribution in order to get support.
    Otherwise enjoy back-porting all those revisions.

To transition for a moment, I spend time in the win32 world as well. It's nice when they give you a driver for the card that is feature complete. I suspect your laptop with it's original Windows Vista was considered feature complete. Then you get to play the game of Linux. Maybe you got hardware mpeg decoders maybe you don't. Maybe you got shaders maybe you got OpenGL 1.2.

la la la

Leave a comment:

• admax88
    replied
    Originally posted by chaos386 View Post
    If your laptop is more capable with older software, then why aren't you running it?

Newer is not always better. The entire AMD/ATi graphics scene is undergoing a HUGE transformation right now, in terms of hardware *and* software. It should be no surprise that things are a little rocky at the moment. Complaining about it won't solve anything, because the reason it's taking a while is not because AMD isn't putting in any effort, it's because there is a lot of work to be done. If you really want to make things get better sooner, help out by filing bug reports and helping the devs find regressions in the driver. After all, the beauty of OSS is working together to improve things!
    I'm running it because I don't want to be stuck on the same kernel with the same drivers and the same X server until the open source driver is a viable replacement. My whole system shouldn't have to revolve around which graphics card that I have.

That being said I see your point about the huge transformation of the graphics stack. And believe me I really appreciate the the work being done on the open source driver. I think the whole gallium3d architecture can be really interesting. I intend to help contribute as best as I can.

My real beef is with AMD deciding to terminate support for the older cards before the open source driver is a viable replacement. I understand their reasoning for doing so, it still pisses me off though.

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    Pedepy, sorry if you've answered this before, but are you already testing the Mesa-on-Gallium3D driver (aka 300g) ?

If not, there's probably a lot of progress you are not seeing...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X