No announcement yet.

r300/500 rant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reality and bottom line: Either upgrade your GPU, run a distro capable of using Catalyst 9-3, or wait patiently for the r300g driver if neither one of those options are feasible. Ranting won't help in this case. I suggest therapy or using a punching bag as more effective alternatives.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
      Reality and bottom line: Either upgrade your GPU, run a distro capable of using Catalyst 9-3, or wait patiently for the r300g driver if neither one of those options are feasible. Ranting won't help in this case. I suggest therapy or using a punching bag as more effective alternatives.
      right..

upgrading isn't really an option, perhaps you could've used your pea brain to read my initial post correctly to realize that. you would've also read that my gpu is just at the upper edge of support drop - in english, it means im just handful of revisions away from official support, which makes it all the more frustating - support for my chip was dropped along ones that were considerably older.

i'm not sure what you were trying to say with 'running a distro capable of catalyst' ... maybe you should read up on linux a bit.

but anyway, thanks for providing me with a reason to be angry again .. idiot.

Comment

Well, the "capable of running catalyst 9.3" meant that you should use a distro which has appropriate xorg, kernel, etc. versions for that particular driver. And you will have some more support for your card and you can wait until the oss beats fglrx seriously in every way.

By the way, I've been using the oss driver since about last June on my rv730, because I couldn't watch a single movie otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by pedepy View Post
          perhaps you could've used your pea brain to read my initial post correctly to realize that.
          Nah, waste of time.

... maybe you should read up on linux a bit.
          Why? I have a much better grasp of your situation than you do. I would tell you to read up more, but your reading comprehension seems to be lacking.

Way to shoot the messenger. At any rate, you're welcome (for my time/attention).

Comment

right..

upgrading isn't really an option, perhaps you could've used your pea brain to read my initial post correctly to realize that. you would've also read that my gpu is just at the upper edge of support drop - in english, it means im just handful of revisions away from official support, which makes it all the more frustating - support for my chip was dropped along ones that were considerably older.

i'm not sure what you were trying to say with 'running a distro capable of catalyst' ... maybe you should read up on linux a bit.

Wow... I never understood why people would start insulting others who are just trying to help them. Way to go to make yourself look like a total asshole.
            The world doesn't revolve around you, there might very well be other people reading this thread for which DanL's suggestion is an option.
            And regarding supported distros (no idea why I'm trying to help you): Debian Lenny or Ubuntu 8.04 are probably your best candidates. If you'd like a more up-to-date system there's also Gentoo, who still allows installing X.org 1.5, that's what my setup looks like right now. But apparently they're slowly starting to remove it from portage as well. I guess you could keep the necessary ebuilds in a local overlay though if they drop it before radeon/mesa does everything you want it to (that's what I'm planing to do).

Comment

What is really remarkable is how stable the development tree has been considering the huge number of commits happening. I'm running Debian unstable with kernel 2.6.33-rc8, DRM, Mesa, and xf86-video-ati from built from source on a 1st gen Macbook Pro (RV530/X1600). I did a git pull this morning and, yet again, everything just works. I have yet to find a native Linux app that does not work with the OSS driver stack and I don't remember the last time I had X crash. I've had more crashes and other anomalies occur with the NVIDIA proprietary driver than I have with ATI OSS.

For someone that does not want to put any effort into their computer I'd recommend they buy a Mac and run OS X. It's hard to feel any sympathy for anyone that bitches about a software product that does not cost them a dime but is unwilling to put any work into fixing their problems.

Comment

right..

You're really not missing anything by not being able to use fglrx. Really.

You must be a glutton for punishment if you like fglrx.

Comment

Originally posted by pvtcupcakes View Post
                  You must be a glutton for punishment if you like fglrx.
                  oh come on, it's not that bad. I don't "like" the driver per se, but I don't regret switching from nvidia either. For every new problem fglrx brought, a different nvidia-specific problem went. It's ok.

There's still things the OS drivers cannot do for you, PM was mentioned a couple of times in this thread, 3D performance/features are another.

Comment

Originally posted by rohcQaH View Post
                    oh come on, it's not that bad. I don't "like" the driver per se, but I don't regret switching from nvidia either. For every new problem fglrx brought, a different nvidia-specific problem went. It's ok.

There's still things the OS drivers cannot do for you, PM was mentioned a couple of times in this thread, 3D performance/features are another.
                    the features are mostly there in the gallium driver - unfortunately the perforance is even worse with that one..

Comment

Originally posted by madman2k View Post
                      the features are mostly there in the gallium driver - unfortunately the perforance is even worse with that one..
                      The performance improvements are on the way. The buffer management is being reworked (the biggest bottleneck right now) and there is even a branch which speeds up texturing.

Comment

Working...
                      X