No announcement yet.

Talking Radeon GLSL From X@FOSDEM 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

an mp3 and flash for free\opensource conference... really ?
    and how most of us still though that only some of phoronix comparison tests are insane.

now it's not surprising that 1-5 Gb files considered as holy-shit-big and torrent not used.

Comment

Video Streaming CDN

Here is the CDN we use to stream our video. It seems to be pretty cheap for streaming, and since it is a stream not download, you only pay for what people watch. They are backed by Wowza EC2 on the server which in turn running in Amazon EC2. So they have a pretty scalable streaming infrastructure.

If you need a flash video player made that can work with that I can make you one to spec real quick. Just send me a PM.

Here are some examples of ones that work out of the box with their streaming server:

simplecdn.net is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, simplecdn.net has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Comment

I would also like to voice my support for video and audio in open codecs. Video encoded in Ogg Theora and Ogg Vorbis is able to be played legally on almost (I say "almost" to be conservative but I can't think of a desktop distro that doesn't include support) every Linux distro without the need to install additionally software. Plus, Mozilla Firefox, Chromium, Chrome, Epiphany, Opera, Sea Monkey and Konqueror all support Ogg Theora natively.

There are few reasons, especially for a site geared towards Linux users, not to use an open, unencumbered format that nearly all of your users have installed already. Plus, as a website for tech-savvy individuals, how difficult would it be for a Phoronix visitor to install VLC or DirectShow filters in the off chance he or she would like to view the video on a platform other than Linux?

Comment

Looks like FOSDEM is going to let us use their YouTube account.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Come on Michael. Stop this bad habbit. If site like yours doesn't support the free formats and give the audio as mp3 instead of vorbis then who is going to support it?

Comment

Yeah, weird choice with MP3. Sure most can play this format even on linux, but we are FLOSS users and we prefer open formats. What is the reason for favouring MP3 over Vorbis?

Comment

@Michael - thank you for uploading the audios. Very much appreciated.

Comment

Michael. The Linux Foundation's website hosts videos like these. I bet they wouldn't mind hosting these for you.

Comment

Seriously, guys, don't you think you are bitching a bit too hard? Give the man a break already; he took a flight to Belgium to report on the conference, about which we would know nothing otherwise, posted summaries in almost real time, uploaded presentations, shot videos and recorded audio, and you still complain because the codec he used is not of your liking?

They say it's impossible to please everybody. With people like you that's an understatement.

Comment

Originally posted by yotambien View Post
                      They say it's impossible to please everybody. With people like you that's an understatement.
                      You know very well that in a forum like this, it's easier to annoy people by using proprietary formats. Besides that, we don't ask something extraordinary. Since when vorbis is a special or difficult process in Linux? Instead it's the default codec of Linux distros.
                      Maybe the use of free codecs is not important for you, but for the largest percentage of this forum it is. I consider it myself extra important for example. But the funny is that by using vorbis you don't annoy anyone. By using mp3 you do.

Comment

Working...
                      X