Debian Radeon X1600 KMS (MacBookPro2,1)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm still somehwat puzzled.

KMS doesn't work with newer kernels either. Same problem, black screen.

But, i'm pretty sure it isn't KMS related. Whenever I switch to a console from X it gives the same hardlock (backlight/lcd off, machine unresponsive via network) with kernel 2.6.32 (works fine with 2.6.29). Console is fine when booting without GDM, but switching back to the console is impossible.

Comment

Originally posted by robin1979 View Post
      I'm still somehwat puzzled.

KMS doesn't work with newer kernels either. Same problem, black screen.

But, i'm pretty sure it isn't KMS related. Whenever I switch to a console from X it gives the same hardlock (backlight/lcd off, machine unresponsive via network) with kernel 2.6.32 (works fine with 2.6.29). Console is fine when booting without GDM, but switching back to the console is impossible.
      Ah. Console framebuffer (radeondrmfb) works until you start X session? Only locks up after starting X and switching back to console? You will also probably need to build DRM, Mesa, & xf86-video-ati from git master. I know I know... having to build from source sucks but that is the price for cutting edge KMS goodness... :-)

git://anongit.freedesktop.org/xorg/proto/dri2proto
      git://anongit.freedesktop.org/mesa/drm
      git://anongit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa
      git://anongit.freedesktop.org/xorg/d...xf86-video-ati

Comment

Got it working with (debian) 2.6.33-2. Getting a nice console FB now.

Had a slow xserver, so I decided to upgrade the X stack. I'm now left with a black screen when GDM starts. Trying again later.

Comment

I'd guess it would be some issue with DRM or xf86-video-ati. I've run into this when trying to use Debian libdrm & xf86-video-ati with KMS. It's one of the reasons I'm still building from source. Also, before upgrading Xorg were you running Compiz? If so the Debian packaged Mesa might not be working as advertised either and falling back to software rendering. Xorg log should point you in the right direction.

Comment

No, not running Compiz. And yes, the slow rendering was because DRI was disabled. In the last logfile (after upgrading the X stack) I saw it was enabling DRI2, but I had no visual. I'll be trying some more tonight .

Comment

Works okay now, upgraded some X packages and all was fine. Feels a lot more snappy than pre-KMS for some reason.

Adding radeon.modeset=1 to the kernel command line doesn't seem to work though (and I don't want to add it to /etc/modules since I need to boot an old kernel as well, so that's no solution).

Comment

yes, the new radeon driver today seems to be great

Comment

Working...
                X