No announcement yet.

Open-Source ATI R600/700 Mesa 3D Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is definitely something going on with that HD 2600pro.

It's a wiled guess in the pitch black dark, but could it be that:
    There is some bug in the microcode/firmware/ATI BIOS thing?
    It's a faulty card (smack me in the face for being so terribly newbisch)?
    There is a workaround for some silicon bug in the 'blob' drivers?
    There was something popping up in the background while testing this card?
    It is a card that is not manufactured according to the official ATI/AMD blueprints (maybe I am just a n00b and this doesn't apply for the GPU at all)?

One would assume that what Bridgman already pointed out; it's not the HD 2600PRO because the results are so a-logical.

Comment

I think the quick answer is "we don't know"

I suspect it's something funny in the software environment rather than GPU/card/microcode etc... though.
      Test signature

Comment

I would be worried if you said anything else without evidence to back it up...

That said, I tend to assume strange glitches are somewhere in the software environment on my systems, and the graphics stack being first suspect

Comment

Originally posted by Melcar View Post
          Here is an old radeon vs. fglrx test I did. All those games a rather playable. Would like to know what you did to get Tremulous running though; it's a slide show even under masa 7.8, and tends to crash.
          Nice one. This gives place for a lot of improvement as it looks. (Well, I cant test it myself, my hd 5650 mobility is bound to the catalyst, but honestly i have no major problems with 2d/3d performance of the 10.1 for my card.)

Comment

Why all the conspiracy theory? Occam's razor says the HD2600 is just a crappy card..

Comment

The 2600 and 3650 are very similar, other than clocks, fab process, and DX10.1 support in the 3650. UVD might be different as well, but that wouldn't affect these tests.

With the exception of clock speeds, the two GPUs should give very similar results on these tests.
              Test signature

Comment

Think the 2600 was running hot maybe?
                I know superior cooling would make a difference on my 4850 ast it reaches 100degrees celcius and downclocks itself.

EDIT: ***110 degrees

Comment

Originally posted by Melcar View Post
                  Here is an old radeon vs. fglrx test I did. All those games a rather playable. Would like to know what you did to get Tremulous running though; it's a slide show even under masa 7.8, and tends to crash.

Thats what i was looking for, but what about video playback, especially HD videos?

Comment

Originally posted by colo View Post
                    Am I the only one who thinks the graphing of the results is absolutely abhorrent? To get any valuable information out of the mess that is, for example, the GL and XV video performance graphs, they should have been at least two times their size. It'd also be nice to have access to the numeric data in tabular form as an option. More often than not, I'd like to compare numbers instead of trying hard to figure out which shade of $colour represents which card?
                    Yes, indeed. It would be better to integrate these graphs over time to get the time average, and simply display a bar graph of the averages.

Comment

Originally posted by perpetualrabbit View Post
                      Yes, indeed. It would be better to integrate these graphs over time to get the time average, and simply display a bar graph of the averages.
                      Or both, because otherwise you'd lose info.

Comment

Working...
                      X