EXT4 Lets Us Down, There Goes Our R600/700 Mesa Tests

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DanL View Post
    The only problem is that it's impossible to know your probability of data loss without a time machine.
    Or, probability = 1 if Murphy's Law is correct.

Comment

It's becoming more tempting to switch to XFS, fall-back to EXT3, or just eagerly await the stabilization of Btrfs.
      So next time we'll see an article on how XFS ate your results? You do know that XFS is even worse in these kind of situation?

Seriously, if you are doing benchmarks with graphic cards you know you are bound to get lock ups once in awhile...

Comment

It's suspicious that the whole directory was purged. Could it be your testing software bug?
        Have you checked the lost+found directory? Have you checked the fsck output in the boot log?

Comment

I'v had similar problems. Did a fresh install, upgraded the kernel to 2.6.32, tried some experimental radeon thing that hard locks, and had many files in many directories get screwed(including entire folders), along with an unbootable system. FSCK was going crazy, basically repeatedly fixing thousands of things (probably breaking it more). I don't understand how something like that passes QA testing. I was using a fakeraid setup, do not know if that makes it related or not.

Comment

Originally posted by figvam View Post
            It's suspicious that the whole directory was purged. Could it be your testing software bug?
            Have you checked the lost+found directory? Have you checked the fsck output in the boot log?
            Oh yeah, and tons of left overs were in lost+found, obviously useless (some binary, some ascii, no filenames)

Comment

Do you have any R300 an R400 cards to test them in these Mesa tests, too?

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                Usually it serves its purpose fine and worked well back when the problem with EXT4 was the empty files on crashes.
                Thats funny my home server is on ext4 (and has been for over a year) and last night I had two power cuts. No PSU so bam power loss YET I ain lost any files.

nice std mount options for /<root> and /home as well

But saying that my "backup" actually revolves around critical data mirrored on my desktop as well as every 3months burnt to DVD's

but keeping the data in the same folder, on the same partition, on the same drive, in the same machine sounds a much better backup scheme. I shall be employing such a scheme immediately

Comment

How about a Phoronix article comparing backup solutions for Gnome and KDE that are being actively developed?

Like Back-in-Time, TimeVault (active?), sbackup, git :-), etc...?

Not really useful for a "I write my own solutions"-nerd but definitely interesting for the average user.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
                    The only problem is that it's impossible to know your probability of data loss without a time machine.
                    and with a time machine, the probability is either 1 or 0

Comment

Originally posted by howlingmadhowie View Post
                      and with a time machine, the probability is either 1 or 0
                      With a time machine, isn't the probability of data loss exactly 0? I.e., you can always go back in time to retrieve the data.

Heh, on second thought, nope. The probability of data loss is equal to the probability that the resources required to run the time machine are less than the cost of reproducing the data.

Comment

Working...
                      X