No announcement yet.

EXT4 Lets Us Down, There Goes Our R600/700 Mesa Tests

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well that sucks. Results would have been interesting.

Comment

The Phoronix Test Suite even keeps backup copies of the XML test results from previous runs in a separate file to fend off data loss problems like that, but alas they were stored in the same directory.

lmao

nice "backup" scheme you got going there, this also on a stripped RAID as well

FYI I just had a powercut today and my home server (which is EXT4 for the last year) nicely handled it, no UPS either

Comment

Originally posted by Naib View Post
        lmao

nice "backup" scheme you got going there...
        Usually it serves its purpose fine and worked well back when the problem with EXT4 was the empty files on crashes.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Backups are just a waste of resources. EXT4 developers need to code right.

Comment

It's on the same hardware, it's not a back-up. You should know that.

Comment

Right in time for 2.4.0 I finished off a phoromatic.upload-results option that allow any test results to be uploaded to a Phoromatic account, if the account holder has enabled "Allow Phoromatic test systems to upload unscheduled test results."
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

For all those that are screaming "BACKUPS", please remember that backups only make sense if the ratio

(Probability of data loss * Cost of data loss) / (Cost of backup)

is greater than one. So it really comes down to how likely you think a hardware or software failure is. Reasonable assumptions to me are 1% failure probability and maybe a half hour to set up the backups, so this means that if it takes less than 50 hours of actual work to run the tests, you'd be wasting your time making backups.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                  Or will just build the mentioned support into Phoromatic, much cleaner, easier, and more efficient that way.
                  A good idea, or even writing the data to an external drive

Comment

Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
                    A good idea, or even writing the data to an external drive
                    It just seems to me that blaming the file system is a bit premature. It could just as easily be a controller driver bug or hd firmware issue.

Comment

Originally posted by bugmenot View Post
                      For all those that are screaming "BACKUPS", please remember that backups only make sense if the ratio

(Probability of data loss * Cost of data loss) / (Cost of backup)
                      The only problem is that it's impossible to know your probability of data loss without a time machine.

Comment

Working...
                      X