No announcement yet.

AMD Catalyst 10.1 Driver For Linux Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a strange issue on opensuse 11.1 that appeared with Catalyst 9.12 (until 9.11 everything was fine).

Although the driver is installed fine and working, i'm experiencing random (not permanent) lockups (like time outs).

I mean that sometimes the desktop stops responding (mouse is stopped or scrolling in windows is stopped) and after a little period of time it recovers. Also in the most case logging out results to X freeze and a hard reboot is required.

I'm running Opensuse 11.1 x64 with xorg 1.5.2. Catalyst 9.11 works fine.

Comment

Originally posted by marks View Post
      Somebody tells me how to install ATI Catalyst 10.1 to Arch Linux??
      Thanks.
      question, why don't you ask this on the arch forums?

why are arxh users asking such questions on phoronix or gentoo?

are their own forums such a crap experience?

Comment

ATI really need to get their driver sorted, and sorted soon.

I've had to give back the 9600GT I was running along with my 9800GT in order to provide a triple head setup and so I'm now in the market for another card. In fact, I've been holding off from buying another nVidia card for a while in the hope that Linux support for Eyefinity would be forthcoming. This thread and the many like it don't exactly fill me with much confidence that there will be timely and proper full support for ATI hardware any time soon.

I myself can't wait for ever and I'm getting the feeling there are quite a few others in my boat as well. In my travels around various blogs I've found quite a lot of people who, like me need to run three screens and find the nVidia solution a little sub-optimal, but at least functional and would just love to go with a single card triple head solution.

I don't want to come across as a winger but I guess I'm just expressing my dismay at not being able to buy the ATI card that I want to buy as I'm not prepared to fall into the same situation others have which is that they've bought hardware on the assumption that drivers would be along "real soon now"(tm) but have instead seen their cards become obsolete before proper software support is provided.

Many point to the OSS drivers. If and when they provide a full 3D experience as do the nVidia blobs, not to mention excellent video playback, then they will become an option. Until they do they'll remain almost good enough, but I'm afraid almost good enough is not good enough for me, and as it would seem, not good enough for a lot of other people as well.

Comment

Originally posted by mugginz View Post
          ATI really need to get their driver sorted, and sorted soon.

I've had to give back the 9600GT I was running along with my 9800GT in order to provide a triple head setup and so I'm now in the market for another card. In fact, I've been holding off from buying another nVidia card for a while in the hope that Linux support for Eyefinity would be forthcoming. This thread and the many like it don't exactly fill me with much confidence that there will be timely and proper full support for ATI hardware any time soon.

I myself can't wait for ever and I'm getting the feeling there are quite a few others in my boat as well. In my travels around various blogs I've found quite a lot of people who, like me need to run three screens and find the nVidia solution a little sub-optimal, but at least functional and would just love to go with a single card triple head solution.

I don't want to come across as a winger but I guess I'm just expressing my dismay at not being able to buy the ATI card that I want to buy as I'm not prepared to fall into the same situation others have which is that they've bought hardware on the assumption that drivers would be along "real soon now"(tm) but have instead seen their cards become obsolete before proper software support is provided.

Many point to the OSS drivers. If and when they provide a full 3D experience as do the nVidia blobs, not to mention excellent video playback, then they will become an option. Until they do they'll remain almost good enough, but I'm afraid almost good enough is not good enough for me, and as it would seem, not good enough for a lot of other people as well.
          Then don't use AMD cards. I don't think anyone here will be personally offended. Certain functionality requires certain cards. I don't think there's anyone here that will tell you that AMD hardware and drivers are the perfect solution for everyone.

Adam

Comment

Originally posted by adamk View Post
            Then don't use AMD cards. I don't think anyone here will be personally offended. Certain functionality requires certain cards. I don't think there's anyone here that will tell you that AMD hardware and drivers are the perfect solution for everyone.

Adam
            Talk about miss the point.

Clearly I can't use an ATI card at the moment, and I've explained why.

At a minimum, I must wait for as long as I can to see what ATI are going to release, and, if it takes too long, I'll have to buy an nVidia card as I've already stated.

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post
              question, why don't you ask this on the arch forums?

why are arxh users asking such questions on phoronix or gentoo?

are their own forums such a crap experience?
              You are weird, mate. All the talk here about different distros and what problems they have related to the driver. Take a moment to relax before saying such rude words.

Solution for arch ati install:

Arch is a rolling distro, so you wont be able to do it out of the box. You need AUR package and downgrading X from archive Xorg packages.

It wasn't without reason why Arch decided to remove catalyst from the official repo, as AMD continues to give driver for stable X releases at a delayed pace. Arch is by its nature rolling on, if AMD falls behind it's reasonable to move on if intel and nvidia is able to keep up the pace steadily.

I have set up my own Arch in a few steps for catalyst. I'm content with the results so far - the AUR build script is working nicely, on the same they it was released as the catalyst rolled out.

Comment

Using Fedora 12 x86_64, 10.1 Catalyst fails as 9.12 did. I have a Dell/Alienware OEM ATI 5970.

Tried to use the mesa-dri-drivers-experimental drivers as described in this article

Any suggestions?

I have to use F12 because it recognizes my Intel ICH "fake raid" RAID0 contaier properly with mdadm. F11 tries to map it to /dev/mapper/isw_<some_string><my_raid_name>, but I might try that next. I guess I can try Ubuntu too, but I've never used Debian based systems, and I use RHEL all the time at work, so Fedora is my preference.

Any suggestions?

Comment

yeah, don't use Fedora.

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post
                    yeah, don't use Fedora.

Oh noes! ATI is stifling my freedom!
                    Face it guys. Fglrx has system requirements that not all distros meet (too bleeding edge, too old, whatever). But hey, for such platforms we now have an open source driver; isn't that what everyone wanted anyway?

Comment

@ogreinside

That's DMRAID!

Comment

Working...
                      X