No announcement yet.

UVD/hw acceleration If, when?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Regarding that, I'm still wondering how good that will do with smaller IGPs and the like. I can see it working on bigger chips and even small ones provided it's a dedicated card and has a capable 3D engine. With UVD/UVD2, even slow IGPs can play most stuff out there with very little difficulty, and still manage to not over tax the CPU

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
      It may *seem* important, but it isn't an all-or-nothing situation.
      Go back and look at the radeon feature matrix: http://www.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature

You will note "Video Decode Using the 3D Engine". It may not be able to take over everything, but it should reduce the CPU strain to well within reasonable limits (rather than maxing out any dual-core and dropping frames).
      3D is also the only extensible method. You can't add support for new formats to UVD; it only decodes a fixed set of formats. You can add support for new formats using the 3D engine.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
        3D is also the only extensible method. You can't add support for new formats to UVD; it only decodes a fixed set of formats. You can add support for new formats using the 3D engine.
        So, maybe you know who and where is working on the 3d engine support for hw-acceleration?

Comment

Originally posted by Neuro View Post
          So, maybe you know who and where is working on the 3d engine support for hw-acceleration?
          There is some basic work for video decode going on in gallium, but that's about it at the moment that I know of.

Comment

Originally posted by brent View Post
            Originally posted by garytr24
            isn't it possible to get hardware assistance for decoding on g33 with gallium and the shader pipeline?
            Intel's IGPs aren't known for good shader performance. I doubt it's possible at all.

Also, the kind of acceleration you get this way (that is, MC level) is not very useful, especially with H.264 high profile, where acceleration is most needed.
            H.264 data in high profile is normally encoded with CABAC. CABAC decoding needs a lot of processing power and cannot be parallelized well, thus it isn't viable for offload to shaders. If you approach high bitrates (like on bluray), if I remember correctly, CABAC usually becomes the most involving decoding step. And you can't speed it up with MC acceleration at all.

Plain and simple, in my opinion, only full (i.e. bitstream/VLD level) acceleration is worth implementing when it comes to H.264.

VC-1 is different, but it's not nearly as hard to decode as H.264 anyway.
            Is it true? Does it apply to radeon?
            ## VGA ##
            AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
            Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Looks like it. The lack of parallelisability to CABAC is the principal reason it doesn't do well on shaders (which heavily rely on parallelism for performance), so yeah - I doubt the radeon shader core would be much help in decoding CABAC. Could still be of use in the other decoding stages, though.

Comment

Originally posted by DuSTman View Post
                Could still be of use in the other decoding stages, though.
                I hope "CABAC usually becomes the most involving decoding step" is at least a bit emphasized...
                ## VGA ##

Comment

"Difficult" does NOT mean "impossible".

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
                    "Difficult" does NOT mean "impossible".
                    Difficult means we still haven't mainline h.264 multi-threaded decoding after many years...
                    ## VGA ##

Comment

Right, so is there any progress on the legal review stuff?

Comment

Working...
                      X