Drivers for ATI x1900 R580 running on Ubuntu 9.10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drivers for ATI x1900 R580 running on Ubuntu 9.10

Card: ATI x1900 (2 monitors: a 21" and a 30")
    System: Ubuntu 9.10

I've been tinkering with various drivers for several days and after half a dozen Ubuntu reinstalls, I'm just about ready to call it quits.

The furthest I've gotten was getting the correct resolution to work on two of my monitors, but with no hardware acceleration. Unfortunately even this stopped working after I ran apt-get update.

I tried several approaches:

1. radeonhd by installing xserver-xorg-video-radeonhd through apt-get --- broke X, couldn't open anything, not even reboot.

2. ATI's official drivers downloaded from their site. I was following this guide, but the install wouldn't go through:

Error! Could not locate fglrx.ko for module fglrx in the DKMS tree.
    You must run a dkms build for kernel 2.6.31-17-generic (x86_64) first.
    The kernel version is indeed 2.6.31-17

3. apt-get install fglrx-amdcccle killed X and wouldn't let me interact with Gnome.

There's some solid advice on this forum but my experience with Linux is somewhat limited. I know my way around server software but this was my first attempt in getting Ubuntu to work as a home desktop.
    Last edited by terone; 26 January 2010, 07:27 PM.

You need to use open source drivers, since fglrx (ATI's driver) wont work with that card unless you opt to run an earlier Ubuntu release (9.04 and older). Karmic should provide some level of 3D acceleration for your card with the radeon driver (loaded by default so you shouldn't have to modify anything). It's better (and easier) to just use the xorg-edgers packages and the latest kernel, since that will allow you to run rather current code. Use this repository for drivers and necessary packages:

https://launchpad.net/~xorg-edgers/+archive/ppa

... and get your kernels from here:

http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/

Radeon is better than radeonhd in case you're wondering.

Comment

Recent fglrx drivers downloaded from ati.com do not support GPUs earlier than R600/HD2xxx. A normal Ubuntu installation should automatically install open source drivers for your GPU, including 3D acceleration.

Please do a fresh Ubuntu 9.10 install, don't add or change *any* drivers, then let us know what the results are. Pastebin an xorg log if you have problems. Once the out-of-box drivers are working for you, the links Melcar provided will let you pick up newer (in development) versions of the open source drivers.
      Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by terone View Post
        Card: ATI x1900 (2 monitors: a 21" and a 30")
        System: Ubuntu 9.10

I've been tinkering with various drivers for several days and after half a dozen Ubuntu reinstalls, I'm just about ready to call it quits.

The furthest I've gotten was getting the correct resolution to work on two of my monitors, but with no hardware acceleration. Unfortunately even this stopped working after I ran apt-get update.

I tried several approaches:

1. radeonhd by installing xserver-xorg-video-radeonhd through apt-get --- broke X, couldn't open anything, not even reboot.

2. ATI's official drivers downloaded from their site. I was following this guide, but the install wouldn't go through:

The kernel version is indeed 2.6.31-17

3. apt-get install fglrx-amdcccle killed X and wouldn't let me interact with Gnome.

There's some solid advice on this forum but my experience with Linux is somewhat limited. I know my way around server software but this was my first attempt in getting Ubuntu to work as a home desktop.

1. Without being able to look at your /var/log/Xorg.0.log, I doubt anybody will know exactly what is wrong. Your card is a R580, I am unsure if it is supported by xserver-xorg-radeonhd. It should be supported by xserver-xorg-radeon if you want to try a different OSS driver.

2. ATI's official driver will not work with your system as configured, your kernel, and perhaps Xorg are too new. Your card is now considered legacy, and will only be supported via OSS drivers. Legacy FGLRX will only work with supported kernel and Xorg versions.

3. See #2.

Ubuntu 9.10 should support your GPU "out of the box". If you are having issues, you may be seeing a bug. Is your card using the AGP bus by chance?

Comment

Working...
        X