Radeon Gallium on ubuntu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by HokTar View Post
    what is your plan, when will you add the r600g driver to the xorg-edgers ppa? It can already run glxgears and ioquake games (if I remember correctly), so it might be in a state to start testing it/regularly checking out how it evolves.!
    Sounds like a good idea especially if the Gallium driver gets installed into the gallium subdirectory of dri so it won't get used as default but user has to enable it himself.

Comment

• Originally posted by HokTar View Post
      Dear tormod and sarvatt,

what is your plan, when will you add the r600g driver to the xorg-edgers ppa? It can already run glxgears and ioquake games (if I remember correctly), so it might be in a state to start testing it/regularly checking out how it evolves.

Thanks in advance!
      I don't have the hardware to test if it is any useful, but the mesa packages in the Radeon Gallium PPA ppa:xorg-edgers/radeon ships the r600g now. Please remember that it is to be used on top of stock Lucid (not the normal xorg-edgers PPA), and you probably will need to install the latest Maverick kernel and the -ati drivers from ppa:xorg-edgers/drivers-only to get anywhere.

Comment

• Hello, i'm having a trouble with panoramio pictures in google-earth (they aren't displaying, just white area with small googleearth icon in the middle). Must have smth to do with 2D rendering. I'm using r300g driver from git.
        So, how is it possible to chage 2D prferences in ati-gallium stack?

Comment

• Hi,

I own a X1600 pro (AGP) / Pentium D 2.8 Ghz. Using the very latest xorg-edgers packages and a 2.6.36 -Rc2 mainline ubuntu kernel. (Maverick Meerkat)

I can play HD videos (720p) with compiz disabled.

But, if I try to watch it with Compiz (Gallium 3d is also enabled) on the movie playback starts to freeze at 8 ~10 min. (audio goes on ..) and everything else (video related) starts to consume too much CPU, even a youtube SD video, forcing me to restart.

Is that a know bug?

Comment

• I noticed this messages on dmesg:

[ 2795.089924] radeon 0000:01:00.0: ffff880048749600 reserve failed for wait
            [ 3273.494269] radeon 0000:01:00.0: ffff880048749600 reserve failed for wait
            [ 3285.863913] radeon 0000:01:00.0: ffff880048749600 reserve failed for wait
            [ 3310.732791] radeon 0000:01:00.0: ffff880048749600 reserve failed for wait
            [ 3336.425249] radeon 0000:01:00.0: ffff880048749600 reserve failed for wait
            [ 3336.890328] radeon 0000:01:00.0: ffff880048749600 reserve failed for wait
            [ 3337.406172] radeon 0000:01:00.0: ffff880048749600 reserve failed for wait
            [ 3337.590795] radeon 0000:01:00.0: ffff880048749600 reserve failed for wait
            [ 3393.944474] radeon 0000:01:00.0: ffff880048749600 reserve failed for wait

Someone at #radeon hinted me about possible vram leaking.

Hope that could shed some light into it.

Comment

• Originally posted by tormod View Post
              I don't have the hardware to test if it is any useful, but the mesa packages in the Radeon Gallium PPA ppa:xorg-edgers/radeon ships the r600g now. Please remember that it is to be used on top of stock Lucid (not the normal xorg-edgers PPA), and you probably will need to install the latest Maverick kernel and the -ati drivers from ppa:xorg-edgers/drivers-only to get anywhere.
              Will this land in the normal xorg-edgers PPA for Maverick?

Comment

• Originally posted by hmmm View Post
                Will this land in the normal xorg-edgers PPA for Maverick?
                It's been in there for awhile, in the libgl1-mesa-dri-experimental package. It's installed to /usr/lib/dri/gallium/ though so you'll need to use env vars to test it out or replace your /usr/lib/dri/r600_dri.so with it if you're just silly. Not that I recommend the latter All of that is mentioned in the notes on the main PPA page.

Comment

• Wow did you just update the info on the page?

BTW while I've got your attention sarvatt - a big thankyou to you, tormod and the rest of the xorg-edgers team for the ppa!!!

Comment

• On Ubuntu 10.10 + xorg-edgers with a r480 card:

When I use some opengl applications (like Warsow), my computer crashes after few min. There is no log about the crash in the var folders.

Am I the only one with this problem?

Comment

• Gallium in Maverick vs. Gallium in Lucid

Originally posted by tormod View Post
                      That is precisely why I am waiting for Maverick support.

While Lucid is the development base (for Mesa 7.9) for now, it will still be a backport when published/released for Lucid. Mesa 7.9, on the other hand, will be part of the Maverick core (Xorg 1.9 already is) so that tag-team will be more critical than Lucid, especially going forward.

Then there is the reality that 2D in Maverick (irrespective of Gallium, and, amusingly, *despite* having to use software direct rendering) is actually *faster* using Xorg 1.9 than with Xorg 1.8 (Mesa 7.8.2); however, adding Mesa 7.9 compiles to the mix breaks Xorg 1.9 (apparently, that isn't the case with Xorg 1.8 or earlier, since Lucid has been the test base).

At the current state of Maverick beta code,

Xorg 1.9 + xserver-xorg-video-radeon (from either xorg-edgers *or* X-swat PPA; same code) + Mesa 7.8.2 is fine (in fact, it's faster than bone-stock Maverick by at least an order of two, and that's 2D vs. 2D, software rendering, on Maverick x64 with HD5450); however, replace Mesa 7.8.2 with xorg-edgers Mesa 7.9 latest successful compile from git, and Xorg is completely unusable, whether 1.9 or the stock 1.8 that ships with Maverick (while there are no card drivers for 1.9 in the base repos for Maverick, the rest of Xorg 1.9 is in the upgrade pipeline for Maverick today). Basically, whatever breaks X is part of either Mesa itself or the prereqs required by Mesa, and it's a definite compatibility issue with Maverick, as opposed to Lucid.

For straight 2D tasks, I'd actually rather run Maverick than Lucid because Maverick is actually *faster* than Lucid. Surprise performance discovery (wish I knew how to test it, just so I could be sure I wasn't seeing things) - 2D in Maverick, software rendering and all (Xorg 1.9+radeon from either xorg-edgers or x-swat+Mesa 7.8.2) is faster than Catalyst 10.7 *or* 10.8 in *Lucid* (Xorg 1.8+Mesa 7.8.2) even with the same kernel (2.6.35-20 is both Maverick beta's base and is an option for Lucid via Kernel Main Line PPA). I'm well aware I'm not the only person to report this (even in this forum) - however, how much sense does the data make, especially if it holds up?

I want more data, primarily as a backcheck on my own observations.

Comment

Working...
                      X