• Show
Clear All

• rob2687
    replied
    Same problem here. No screen updates.

Leave a comment:

• adamk
    replied
    Bah... I just remembered that Ubuntu did something really stupid and stopped using compiz-manager as the default script for starting compiz, so I'm not sure if there is a supported way to enable LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT for compiz in Ubuntu these days.

I guess you could install fusion-icon (which I believe is still in the Ubuntu repos) and use that to start compiz. Inside fusion-icon there is an option to enable Indirect Rendering.

Adam

Leave a comment:

• Beiruty
    replied
    Originally posted by adamk View Post
    How are you starting compiz?

Adam
    I guess, by enabling Special Effects in Ubuntu 10.04. I have cmopiz manager installed where I can select and enable compiz features.

Leave a comment:

• adamk
    replied
    How are you starting compiz?

Adam

Leave a comment:

• Beiruty
    replied
    Originally posted by adamk View Post
    I've found that compiz works just fine with the latest r300g driver if you set LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT to 1
    Where do you set that?

Leave a comment:

• adamk
    replied
    I've found that compiz works just fine with the latest r300g driver if you set LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT to 1

Leave a comment:

• Beiruty
    replied
    For the last week or so, Gallium3d updates are killing Compiz. My desktop locks up after being displayed. I need to rotate the cube to see screen updates. Frustrating. There is bug report already open.

Leave a comment:

• tovj
    replied
    Thanks for the replies. Having updated to the latest xorg-edgers I am also seeing a BIG improvement on openarena - I am now getting approx 60FPS on r300g which is significantly faster than the 44FPS I was getting on r300

I am also getting in excess of 1600 FPS on glxgears, so it seems that a recent update has made some significant improvements.

Google Earth is slightly faster than it was, however it is still too slow to use, so not sure what's up with that.

I haven't been able to try Nexuiz yet I'm afraid.

For general desktop use I have found the Gallium driver very reliable - barely any difference between r300 and r300g in this respect, but that's probably to be expected.

Overall I have been very impressed with the r300g driver so far, and is clear that issues are being resolved a fast rate - keep up the good work!!!

Leave a comment:

• marek
    replied
    I've tested r300g in openarena with latest kernel-rcX and xf86-video-ati from git on RV350 and it runs more or less the same as r300c.

Leave a comment:

• xeros
    replied
    Originally posted by tovj View Post
    Hi, I am new to the forum and was wondering whether anyone could offer any advice on problem that I am having testing the r300g driver on my 9600XT AGP card with Ubuntu 10.04.

I installed Gallium3D using the xorg-edgers PPA (https://launchpad.net/~xorg-edgers/+archive/radeon) and initially everything looked great.

The results from "glxinfo | grep OpenGL" are:

OpenGL vendor string: X.Org R300 Project
    OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on RV350
    OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 7.9-devel
    OpenGL shading language version string: 1.20

... so that seems good. Compiz works great, glxgears runs at about 1400FPS and Neverball runs nicely - it looks on a par with the old r300 driver.

Hovever, as soon as I try to run Google Earth it grinds to a halt - I reckon about one frame per second at best. With OpenArena I get similar results; I am getting less than one FPS at 800x600, as opposed to about 44 FPS using the old r300 driver!

So I'm guessing that something is either wrong with my setup, or the driver doesn't like something about my card. Does anyone have any ideas? As far as I know I havn't modified anything since performing a clean install Lucid.

Thanks
    Have you checked xorg-edgers updates recently?
    Does your problem still exists?
    I wonder how does Nexuiz work on yours hardware on Gallium3D and how stable r300g is for general desktop usage (desktop effects with or without games). I have the same card ( Radeon 9600, except for XT ;-) ), but I haven't tried Gallium3D, yet.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X