No announcement yet.

Radeon Gallium on ubuntu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why in the world no one uses the 3D screensavers as Benchmarks? with -fps I can see the native frame rate and the test is repetitive with same 3D complexity each time the test is run.

Comment

• Many aren't repetitive, random movement and thus random obscuring of other objects.

Comment

• Originally posted by Beiruty View Post
        Why in the world no one uses the 3D screensavers as Benchmarks? with -fps I can see the native frame rate and the test is repetitive with same 3D complexity each time the test is run.
        Well some of us do https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Screensavers

It is at least useful for works vs doesn't work testing. Just filed https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=28775 now.

Comment

• Looks like there were a bunch of updates in the xorg-edgers ppa today.

xserver-xorg-core wouldn't update due to xserver-xorg-video-6. Something broke after that because I get the following.
          Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
          Error: couldn't find RGB GLX visual or fbconfig
          I ran a ppa-purge and it's still like that.

Xorg.0.log
          Pastebin.com is the number one paste tool since 2002. Pastebin is a website where you can store text online for a set period of time.

Comment

• Code:
            (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/extra-modules/libglx.so
            (II) Module glx: vendor="NVIDIA Corporation"
            Well don't install the nvidia drivers and you won't have this particular GLX problem :-)

Adam

Comment

• derp.

I removed all the nvidia packages, added the xorg edgers ppa again and ran dist-upgrade. Everything is good now. Thanks.

Comment

• Hi guys,

I don't know if is this the right topic, but I've installed Gallium driver on Ubuntu Lucid, so I think i'm not so wrong .

I used default ATI Radeon driver (my chip is a ATI X1600), the open one. Those I've found when I've installed Ubuntu.
                With this driver Compiz Plugin Alpha Blur give me a lot of lag: I can only use for menu and tooltip, if I try to set it for normal window: my PC get veeeeeeery slooooowly!

I've heard about Gallium driver so i decided to try.
                I've added this PPA:

I run an update, upgrade and dist-upgrade and my Xorg, my Mesa-utils and other apps became upgraded.
                Now my version of Xorg is 1.8.2 .
                I install libgl1-mesa-dri-gallium and reboot my system.
                Now Compiz work well (like before the installing), infact Alpha Blur is "laggy".

But now OpenArena, glxinfo or glxgears give me Segmentation Fault when i try to run it.
                For example OpenArena:
                Code:
                a lots of other information
                ----- Client Initialization -----
                ----- Initializing Renderer ----
                -------------------------------
                QKEY found.
                ----- Client Initialization Complete -----
                ----- R_Init -----
                SDL using driver "x11"
                Initializing OpenGL display
                Estimated display aspect: 1.250
                ...setting mode 8: 1280 1024
                Segmentation fault
                - Can I do something more (edit Xorg.conf, install or update other packages, offer for sacrifice windows of my house to Tux) for use correctly Gallium driver?
                - How can I have with "default" open driver Compiz Plugin Alpha Blur?

Thanks a lot for your advices, sorry for the language, but I'm Italian

Comment

• Can you post a backtrace from the crash?

Comment

• Here's what my Terminal give me.
                    I don't have a real crash: system goes ok, but i think something is wrong.

albi@albi-desktop:~$ glxgears
                    Segmentation fault
                    albi@albi-desktop:~$ glxinfo
                    name of display: :0.0
                    Segmentation fault
                    albi@albi-desktop:~$ /media/Dati/Giochi/openarena-0.8.1/openarena.i386
                    ioq3+oa 1.36 linux-i386 Jan 3 2010
                    ----- FS_Startup -----
                    Current search path:
                    /home/albi/.openarena/baseoa
                    /media/Dati/Giochi/openarena-0.8.1/baseoa/simpsons.pk3 (592 files)
                    /media/Dati/Giochi/openarena-0.8.1/baseoa/pak6-patch085.pk3 (559 files)
                    /media/Dati/Giochi/openarena-0.8.1/baseoa/pak6-misc.pk3 (229 files)
                    /media/Dati/Giochi/openarena-0.8.1/baseoa/pak5-TA.pk3 (139 files)
                    /media/Dati/Giochi/openarena-0.8.1/baseoa/pak4-textures.pk3 (1753 files)
                    /media/Dati/Giochi/openarena-0.8.1/baseoa/pak2-players.pk3 (669 files)
                    /media/Dati/Giochi/openarena-0.8.1/baseoa/pak2-players-mature.pk3 (231 files)
                    /media/Dati/Giochi/openarena-0.8.1/baseoa/pak1-maps.pk3 (100 files)
                    /media/Dati/Giochi/openarena-0.8.1/baseoa/pak0.pk3 (1042 files)
                    /media/Dati/Giochi/openarena-0.8.1/baseoa/more_crosshairs.pk3 (78 files)
                    /media/Dati/Giochi/openarena-0.8.1/baseoa

----------------------
                    5392 files in pk3 files
                    execing default.cfg
                    execing q3config.cfg
                    couldn't exec autoexec.cfg
                    Hunk_Clear: reset the hunk ok
                    ----- Client Initialization -----
                    ----- Initializing Renderer ----
                    -------------------------------
                    QKEY found.
                    ----- Client Initialization Complete -----
                    ----- R_Init -----
                    SDL using driver "x11"
                    Initializing OpenGL display
                    Estimated display aspect: 1.250
                    ...setting mode 8: 1280 1024
                    Segmentation fault
                    albi@albi-desktop:~$

Comment

• Please show us your /var/log/Xorg.0.log file.

Adam

Comment

Working...
                      X