Radeon Gallium on ubuntu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Melcar View Post
    I get the white gears and chromatic background with the gears as well. Kwin 3D effects work rather well and with no issue, but other than that no other 3D app. is usable (they either don't run or are massively distorted). RS480 with latest xorg-edgers gallium packages.
    I've got the same chipset, and experienced the exact same results. The latest update fixed that though. Neverputt also works correctly for the first time under Gallium3D. I haven't had a chance to check much else yet.

Comment

• Originally posted by Axiom View Post
      I tried r300g with the xorg-edgers ppa, but the mouse isn't really usable in games like Teeworlds. I don't really know how to describe it, there is a kind of delay. Is it a known bug?
      I've committed a fix for this in Mesa. You might need to wait for the next PPA update, or compile Mesa by yourself. Unfortunately this change degrades performance of some games to the level of r300c. I hope to address this as soon as DRI2 Swap&Sync is ready.

Comment

• Hasn't DRI2 Swap & Sync already been done a few days ago and you just need a new drm-testing kernel and a new DDX or so? I mean when you're testing r300g, chances are you want the other parts to be bleeding edge also.

Comment

• Originally posted by d2kx View Post
          Hasn't DRI2 Swap & Sync already been done a few days ago and you just need a new drm-testing kernel and a new DDX or so? I mean when you're testing r300g, chances are you want the other parts to be bleeding edge also.
          To my knowledge there have been some patches which haven't been tested much yet. I'd rather wait until it's more stable.

Comment

• Compiz is working now on my RS480 (or is it RC410?) + gallium, but when I activated the water plugin to compare FPS, it couldn't render properly. A little more progress before it can go, I guess.

Comment

• Originally posted by marek View Post
              To my knowledge there have been some patches which haven't been tested much yet. I'd rather wait until it's more stable.
              No "some patches", but glisse pushed into d-r-t and ddx master around week ago. you only need to enable pageflip in xorg.conf.
              There were problems initially mainly with mesa classic(blackscreen, hangs, xorg,module reloads and even reboots were needed), but its mostly fixed now(sometimes xorg crashesh when moving aroung mesa classic window, but its not critical for me), and it doesnt cause blackscreen with dynpm now(it damny rulez).

I am using r500/T60p, ddx/mesa master and d-r-t and wmaker(but tested compiz and it generally worked with pageflip/dynpm). So maybe add some conditionals around your glFinish commit for pageflip.

Comment

• Originally posted by evil_core View Post
                No "some patches", but glisse pushed into d-r-t and ddx master around week ago. you only need to enable pageflip in xorg.conf.
                There were problems initially mainly with mesa classic(blackscreen, hangs, xorg,module reloads and even reboots were needed), but its mostly fixed now(sometimes xorg crashesh when moving aroung mesa classic window, but its not critical for me), and it doesnt cause blackscreen with dynpm now(it damny rulez).

I am using r500/T60p, ddx/mesa master and d-r-t and wmaker(but tested compiz and it generally worked with pageflip/dynpm). So maybe add some conditionals around your glFinish commit for pageflip.
                @Marek: And generally some today code caused hardclockups of system in first 10 seconds after starting OpenArena in Gallium mode(it also happens with Classic). reverting glFinish patch dont helps, I can avoid lockups by setting r_finish to 0, but it was set before and didnt locked machine) (probably GPU hang)

Comment

• Originally posted by evil_core View Post
                  it also happens with Classic
                  Well if it happens with classic it might not related to Mesa at all, classic hasn't seen any new code for a long time... unless there is a bug in the compiler. If you still think it's a Mesa-driver issue, please git bisect (use "sync" when you expect lockups) and ideally file a bug.

I don't usually use drm-radeon-testing, it's too bleeding-edge for me. When I develop, I need to be sure that if there is a new regression, it's caused by me and not by some other part of the system. Otherwise Ḯ would be wasting my time trying to figure out what's wrong with my code.

Also, before disabling the glFinish code, I need to be sure that DRI2 Swap&Sync does fix the input lag Axiom (and me) noticed. The current behavior of glFinish *is* the correct one, and games shouldn't use it at all because it's known to be a performance killer and it's discouraged by every (serious) GPU vendor out there. The well-written games don't use it.

Comment

• Hi,
                    I am running stock Ubuntu Lucid + edgers PPA.
                    I wanted to try the new gallium driver, so I installed the libgl1-mesa-dri-gallium package following instuctions from the PPA.
                    But even after reboot, it seem that the gallium driver is not used.

Kernel: 2.6.32-22-generic (distribution default kernel)
                    My GK: Mobility Radeon X2300 (RV515)

Relevant part of glxinfo:
                    Code:
                    OpenGL vendor string: DRI R300 Project
                    OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI R300 (RV515 718A) 20090101 x86/MMX/SSE2 TCL DRI2
                    OpenGL version string: 1.5 Mesa 7.9-devel
                    If I am not mistaken, there should be R300g for gallium and OpenGL 2.1 ?

Any pointers what could be wrong ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Melf View Post
                      Hi,
                      I am running stock Ubuntu Lucid + edgers PPA.
                      I wanted to try the new gallium driver, so I installed the libgl1-mesa-dri-gallium package following instuctions from the PPA.
                      But even after reboot, it seem that the gallium driver is not used.

Kernel: 2.6.32-22-generic (distribution default kernel)
                      My GK: Mobility Radeon X2300 (RV515)

Relevant part of glxinfo:
                      Code:
                      OpenGL vendor string: DRI R300 Project
                      OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI R300 (RV515 718A) 20090101 x86/MMX/SSE2 TCL DRI2
                      OpenGL version string: 1.5 Mesa 7.9-devel
                      If I am not mistaken, there should be R300g for gallium and OpenGL 2.1 ?

Any pointers what could be wrong ?
                      To switch to gallium, try to install "gallium" pack from the edgers PPA.

Comment

Working...
                      X