Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for MostAwesome Dude.

Hey, got a question for ya.

I was reading back into some linked mailing list posts on gnash and came across this:

gmane.org is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, gmane.org has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Is the plan of implementing vdpau on the opensource ATI drivers still planned or was it killed?

The best bet would probably be a VDPAU front end for gallium so any gallium driver can take advantage of it.

Comment

I would be much more comfortable using something if it wasn't nvidia that came up with it....

MostAwesomeDude says (in that link) that VDPAU is the only one worth implementing (compared to VAAPI, XvBA, and XvMC). What is it that makes it more worth implementing than VAAPI?

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
        I would be much more comfortable using something if it wasn't nvidia that came up with it....
        No offense but that's pretty irrational since the API is open and free to implement.

MostAwesomeDude says (in that link) that VDPAU is the only one worth implementing (compared to VAAPI, XvBA, and XvMC). What is it that makes it more worth implementing than VAAPI?
        Probably because it's the most complete API out there with the most advance features that is actively maintained with quite a bit of untapped potential yet.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
          It's the current de-facto standard for video accel and most likely to be adopted widely by applications. That means it's the best choice for any driver to support. I think what OpenGL is for 3D graphics, VDPAU will be for video. So really, it's pretty much a must.

Comment

It doesn't really matter which API is used, the actual decoding implementation work will mostly be the same.

Comment

OpenCL would be fine for video, but stupid and slow, just like
              OpenGL-based video decoding.

(...) so we'll have to use 3D shaders instead.
              What is difference between OpenGL-based decoding and shareds-based one?

Comment

Originally posted by Zajec View Post
                What is difference between OpenGL-based decoding and shareds-based one?
                Just different APIs; both generate shaders that run on the hw.

Comment

Working...
                X