No announcement yet.

R600/700 Mesa Driver Picks Up Blit Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This commit is not meant to speed up glxgears.

It speeds up QuakeLive from 2fps to 60fps here.

That's what you should be testing.

Comment

Well, obviously, nobody's really interested in speeding up glxgears in itself, but since most people here seemed to get much higher fps, I figured I could test that, since I don't play games and thus don't plan to test QuakeLive.
      Well, never mind. I was merelly curious, I'm not that concerned.

Comment

glxgears didn't change at all for me either with this patch. But QuakeLive did.

Comment

Originally posted by rvdboom View Post
          I don't see much improvement myself on both of my systems, one with a RS780 9610 chipset, the other with a RS400 5955 one. Basically I get about 750 and 550 fps respectively in glxgears.
          I'm using kernel 2.6.33rc4 on both, libdrm, mesa and xf86-video-ati from git but still 1.6.2 X server on both.
          Would upgrading to a more recent Xserver would make a difference?
          As I said before, this code will not affect gears performance. It will only improve performance for applications that use glCopyTexImage or glCopyTexSubImage. glxgears does not use textures at all.

Comment

OK, thanks for the feedback and for the work. :-)

Comment

Hm...after updating the kernel, libdrm, mesa and xf86-video-ati to the current git release vsync (that comes with irq support) doesn't work anymore. Is that related to blit support?

I didn't found an error in dmesg and xorg.0.log.

Comment

the blit code has nothing to do with vsync.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
                  the blit code has nothing to do with vsync.
                  Ok, that was just my assumption cause it worked before updating.

Comment

Anyone knows if this will be picked up by Ubuntu Lucid? (or whether I'll need to compile it? I hate to mix packages with manually installed binaries). Thanks in advance!

Comment

Originally posted by mendieta View Post
                      Anyone knows if this will be picked up by Ubuntu Lucid? (or whether I'll need to compile it? I hate to mix packages with manually installed binaries). Thanks in advance!
                      Almost certainly not. Lucid is a long term support release, and I cannot imagine them updating to mesa 7.8 a bare month before release.

Comment

Working...
                      X