No announcement yet.

FPS doubles when overclocking CPU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yeah, r600 is useless without mesa, the ddx driver is useless without Xorg, the dri driver is useless without the linux kernel, the windows drivers are useless without... black magic?

Any driver depends on some hardware-independent infrastructure. That doesn't make the infrastructure part of the driver, and claiming that the driver was mainly written by AMD doesn't imply that AMD in any way wrote mesa, xorg, the linux kernel or others.

And again, I didn't give AMD all the credits.

Please stop accusing me of things I haven't actually said. I'm not the droid you're looking for.

Comment

I was not that serious about AMD not being able to make drivers. AMD released documentation about their cards. Is there anything better a company can do?

Originally posted by Dard View Post
      I'm confused.
      All I get from Wine so far doesn't seem to be much more than software rendering with with one or two fps.
      I thought this was because the drivers are still so incomplete, yet it seems like there are people here that already use wine for serious gaming.

Okay, I still use wine 1.0.1, but can this really be the problem?
      Can you point me to a tutorial how to get wine running with the free radeon drivers?
      You have to start it with the opengl flag or make wine use opengl by default. Like this: wine Frozen\ Throne.exe -opengl
      Do you also run like the latest drivers through xorg-edgers?

Originally posted by barkas View Post
      Those guys can reiterate that it's not an emulator all they want, by all common definitions wine IS an emulator.
      It also slows down execution and takes more CPU than the application would native on windows.
      Especially if it has to remap from D3D to GL.
      Warcraft III got both D3D and GL rendering. And yes, it is unplayable if you run it with D3D. Who cares about Wine being an emulator or not when programs run better than they ever did on Windows?
      Last edited by Larrxi; 08 January 2010, 06:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Larrxi View Post
        You have to start it with the opengl flag or make wine use opengl by default. Like this: wine Frozen\ Throne.exe -opengl
        Do you also run like the latest drivers through xorg-edgers?
        Well, I use the Debian Testing system for Xorg and Wine. I just downloaded, compiled and installed the 3D drivers using:
        git clone git://anongit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa

All native OpenGl applications that I have have installed run flawlessly.

Is that what you mean?

I tried starting Wine games using your -opengl option. No improvement. I tested the Max Payne demo and Dungeon Siege.

Comment

Maybe I fiddled with som regedit settings .
          Here's my regedit for Direct3D settings.

REGEDIT4
          [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\Direct3D]
          "DirectDrawRenderer"="opengl"
          "Nonpower2Mode"="repack"
          "OffscreenRenderingMode"="fbo"
          "RenderTargetLockMode"="auto"
          "UseGLSL"="readtex"
          "VideoMemorySize"="1024"

I have yet to test OffscreenRenderingMode=readtex. My card broke when I changed cooler on it so I did a RMA.

Comment

Originally posted by Larrxi View Post
            Maybe I fiddled with som regedit settings .
            Here's my regedit for Direct3D settings.

REGEDIT4
            [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\Direct3D]
            "DirectDrawRenderer"="opengl"
            "Nonpower2Mode"="repack"
            "OffscreenRenderingMode"="fbo"
            "RenderTargetLockMode"="auto"
            "UseGLSL"="readtex"
            "VideoMemorySize"="1024"

I have yet to test OffscreenRenderingMode=readtex. My card broke when I changed cooler on it so I did a RMA.
            You have your settings a bit mixed up. UseGLSL can only be "enabled" or "disabled", neither can OffscreenRenderingMode be set to readtex. The one you want to try is OffscreenRenderingMode="backbuffer".

Comment

Yeah sorry. Wrote readtex instead of backbuffer. Fixed UseGLSL. Thanks.

Comment

huh, 3dmark2001 is on ati in wined3d faster than native d3d?, on my nvidia 7800gtx its under windows xp twice as fast as in wine, and on my intel 945gm windows xp is 10 times faster than wine with 3dmark01 (and with wined3d under windows even twice as fast as wine on linux) ._.

Comment

Originally posted by .CME. View Post
                  huh, 3dmark2001 is on ati in wined3d faster than native d3d?, on my nvidia 7800gtx its under windows xp twice as fast as in wine, and on my intel 945gm windows xp is 10 times faster than wine with 3dmark01 (and with wined3d under windows even twice as fast as wine on linux) ._.
                  Are you able to run wined3d in windows? I didn't knew that.

Comment

Originally posted by tball View Post
                    Are you able to run wined3d in windows? I didn't knew that.
                    indeed, you can also use it in virtualbox (well, the experimental direct3d option in virtualbox is wined3d) :

Comment

Originally posted by .CME. View Post
                      indeed, you can also use it in virtualbox (well, the experimental direct3d option in virtualbox is wined3d) :
                      http://wiki.winehq.org/WineD3DOnWindows
                      Cool. Well would you say wined3d in windows is as fast as the native direct3d in windows?

I got my source games running very well in wine 1.1.36. Highest graphic settings without HDR though.
                      But the only problem left, is my fps when in close combat I get a low fps when wine has to render other peoples in the screen.

Is that due to the higher complexity of objects like a soldier, or is it because of something else?

What can I do about it? It doesn't matter if I turn down my graphic.

Comment

Working...
                      X