X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BlackStar
    replied
    Originally posted by Qaridarium
    i do not wana play a Dx9 game witout Textured Vertex shader?!
    Qaridarium, can you name a few games (not tech demos) that use VTF of DX9-level hardware? I'm asking, because VTF on Geforce 6 & 7 were very limited and rather slow (and of course R500 didn't support VTF at all). It's telling that ATI's R2VB workaround was almost always faster even on Nvidia hardware of that era. VTF only became feasible with DX10 hardware (Geforce 8 / R600).

As many others have pointed out, it's wine's job to report whether the hardware supports VTF. If the hardware doesn't and wine says that it does, you can't expect the game to work correctly.

Leave a comment:

• marek
    replied
    If you don't like how wine detects your hardware, then fix it and send patches to wine maintainers. Moaning like emasculated dogs won't make any difference.

the crazy opensource devs starts support openGL3.2-extansions on R5xx!!!
    You don't know what OpenGL 3.2 is, do you? 5 out of 9 approved extensions are supported on _all_ hardware and 4 of those 5 are mainly for compatibility with wine. There is nothing crazy about it.

~ Marek

Leave a comment:

• Adarion
    replied
    games sponsored by nvidia with nvidia promotion features...
    Oh yeah. How I liked that "the way it's meant to be played" and another more logo in the intro that you often could not fastforward/interrupt. Looks the same way stupid like "games for windows".

Anything, also games, should just stick to standards. Real standards with published specs. Like OpenGL. So then it is hopefully clear how many features your chip can do in hardware and what needs to be done by CPU.
    Okay, I see that DX tells what can (hopefully) actually be done in HW. And maybe MS offered tools for easier programming to the game devs. But even then if a game needs DX9 for best display then it should work with any DX9 card absolutely independent of chip/card brand.

edit: Oh, damn nerdish behavior. Posting on xmas here. Even though I "have a life".
    It's christmas so merry xmas to you folks!

Leave a comment:

• jntesteves
    replied
    Wine does the right thing reporting the right hardware to the application when it can correctly detect it. Since MESA is no valid hardware vendor it falls back to some nvidia card with equivalent features. Nothing worg there. Sure they could use a better hardware detection mechanism, (especially for the OSS drivers) but right now this one is working +or- fine.

People should stop conjuring their conspiracy theorys in this forum and write all this shit in their own personal blog where only people interested in reading shit would see it.

Those AMD devs are waaay too nice. Don't know how they keep answering these guys.

Leave a comment:

• Melcar
    replied
    Originally posted by monraaf View Post

I don't know if everybody agrees with that though, especially the first part

When they started out it was like that, in their view. I can see their resoning here; they needed a stable platform with which to work and at that time nvidia was the only clear and easy choice (a lot of early projects are using the same line of thought as well). However, things chance and so must they.

Leave a comment:

• monraaf
    replied
    Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    Sure, and then everyone says "gee the ATI drivers must have bugs" because the hardware is different. No thanks.

If this is true, it needs to change.
    I think this only applies to the mesa dri drivers, not fglrx. If there's 'ATI' in the OpenGL vendor string it should report the card as an ATI card to the app.

Leave a comment:

• monraaf
    replied
    Originally posted by pedepy View Post
    ehm, how did you do that ?
    They also have special registry keys for that, where you can put the pciid of your card.

http://wiki.winehq.org/UsefulRegistryKeys

Maybe it helps with some games, I don't know. I don't play that much games.

it's seems really odd wine wont detect the open source drivers as ati and fallback to nvidia. a little retarded, even.
    Well this was their reasoning (from the wine source):

The choice for Nvidia was because the hardware and drivers they make are of good quality. This makes them a good generic choice
    I don't know if everybody agrees with that though, especially the first part

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    Sure, and then everyone says "gee the ATI drivers must have bugs" because the hardware is different. No thanks.

If this is true, it needs to change.

Leave a comment:

• DanL
    replied
    Originally posted by elanthis View Post
    You know, the best way to deal with trolls is the same as the best way to deal with "your mom' insults. Just say "yup' and then carry on.
    I prefer to get my trusty mountain goat and knock those bastards off the bridge.

Leave a comment:

• Melcar
    replied
    Originally posted by pedepy View Post
    ehm, how did you do that ?

it's seems really odd wine wont detect the open source drivers as ati and fallback to nvidia. a little retarded, even.

wine, you're retarted.

I've experienced that on my 200M. Wine (or rather the games) detects it as a geforce3.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X