No announcement yet.

R600 Open-Source Driver WIth GLSL, OpenGL 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorry Q, but I don't understand your point either.

Why are you specifying workstation cards for OpenGL but not for DirectX ? In both cases you either need the workstation optimizations (for best performance with huge models) or you don't... and if you *don't* need the optimizations etc... then you might as well use a consumer card for OpenGL as well.

AutoCAD has been Windows-only for fifteen years; we're not really talking about a current trend there.

EDIT - how did we end up having this discussion in the Open Source 6xx/7xx GLSL thread ?
    Last edited by bridgman; 28 December 2009, 01:08 AM.
    Test signature

Comment

• Yeah, AMD markets those expensive FirePro cards for both Windows/DirectX and Linux/OpenGL users. The 5870 works equally well under both API's as well. You get the same thing if you look at Nvidia's lineup of gamer vs professional cards.

Is this the heart of your argument about how AMD is trying to kill OpenGL? Cuz i never understood where that was coming from.

Comment

• Is this the heart of your argument about how AMD is trying to kill OpenGL? Cuz i never understood where that was coming from.
        It came from this page: http://unigine.com/download/
        Have a look at the known driver issues with ati cards when using OpenGL.
        You may also have a look at my previous post (138) here: http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showt...=21068&page=14

Comment

• Originally posted by barbarbaron View Post
          It came from this page: http://unigine.com/download/
          Have a look at the known driver issues with ati cards when using OpenGL.
          You may also have a look at my previous post (138) here: http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showt...=21068&page=14
          Oh, sorry, I confused you and q. If the Unigine problems mean ATI is trying to kill OpenGL, then I guess the Mesa and OSS developers are really trying to can it, huh?

Comment

• Oh, sorry, I confused you and q. If the Unigine problems mean ATI is trying to kill OpenGL, then I guess the Mesa and OSS developers are really trying to can it, huh?
            You extend the meaning of pointless beyond its original context.

Comment

• i respect your point of view. I however get a funny feeling that you are full of shit.

I can extract this:

- AMD and Nvidia are killing openGL
              - They cut out OGL features?
              - DX is faster on a gamer card then OGL on a gamer card?
              - Blender uses the cpu alot due to a quatro/firegl war?

you also note : "but thats not what i mean...."

Invalidating the first 2/3 of your post.

I am left slightly confused.

Comment

• Originally posted by Qaridarium
                be sure the architur of openGL gives much more power to AMD to cut out extansione/features.
                I guess... but AFAIK the differences between the driver stack are in the areas of optimizations and app certifications from workstation ISVs, not extensions/features (unless you call the optimization a feature, of course ).

Originally posted by Qaridarium
                in the directX world amd can't cut out some features because directx hase some core features thats mean every game and every programm und microsoft use this features...
                now you can build a CAD only up to this features CORE-DirectX !

in the OpenGL world if you cut out this features the CPU render the exstansion means SLOW...
                in the DirectXworld the CORE-DX feature set always renderet by the GPU!
                See above.

a directX cad runs on a gamer-directX cart much faster than a OpenGL cad on a Gamer-card...
                Possible. Might be true for workstation cards as well. Do you have any examples where the same app is currently supported on both APIs on the same OS (to eliminate differences between OSes and graphics frameworks) ?

for exampel BLENDER only use the CPU and very basic openGL 'Gamer-Card' extansions.... because of the war of 'Quatro/FireGL' against openGL......
                OK, I'll bite. Which extensions do you think are missing from gaming opengl drivers that cause the Blender devs to only use the most basic features ? Isn't it more likely that the use of a minimal OpenGL set is targeted at open source drivers rather than gaming vs workstation drivers ?

Your reasoning is excellent as always, but you base your conclusions on "facts" which don't seem to have any grounding in reality, or which are based on over-generalization of a single outlier case. It might be worth a bit of time to validate your underlying "facts" first.
                Last edited by bridgman; 28 December 2009, 03:41 PM.
                Test signature

Comment

• At the risk of getting back on topic:
                  Are these "R600 Open-Source Driver WIth GLSL, OpenGL 2.0" good enough to run something like Far Cry(1) in wine?

Comment

• Originally posted by not.sure View Post
                    At the risk of getting back on topic:
                    Are these "R600 Open-Source Driver WIth GLSL, OpenGL 2.0" good enough to run something like Far Cry(1) in wine?
                    You can always try. Personally I haven't seen anything but the trivial tests and demos that come with Mesa render correctly with GLSL.

Comment

• Originally posted by monraaf View Post
                      You can always try. Personally I haven't seen anything but the trivial tests and demos that come with Mesa render correctly with GLSL.
                      I would, but I don't have the hardware. I'm thinking of dumping my (nvidia) notebook in favour of one with ATI card. And it's very difficult to find any useful info about how much trouble I'd run into in between all the flame wars going on here.

Comment

Working...
                      X