X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    Melcar

• Melcar
    replied
    FLOPS don't always translate into 3D performance though. There are two paths Fermi can take:

1. The thing ends up being nvidia's HD2xxx blunder (delayed, under performing compared to the competition, power hungry), but with some nice features

2. Fermi blows everything out of the water, but availability and price (and delay) hurts its competitive edge

I'm betting it will be #2. No doubt it will be powerful and full of really nice features.
    Melcar
    Last edited by Melcar; 20 December 2009, 06:35 PM.

Leave a comment:

• RealNC

• RealNC
    replied
    The only "FLOP" here is AMD Catalyst.

Leave a comment:

• Technojunkie

• Technojunkie
    replied
    So we have a choice between the NVIDIA Fermi which doesn't exist and ATI hardware which doesn't have drivers? Drivers that work on Fedora at least. Between the two I think that ATI has the easier task.

Leave a comment:

• Kano
    Kanotix Developer

• Kano
    replied
    I would say it is even hard to win for a 5870 against a gtx 285 on Linux. those numbers say nothing about gaming speed. Also often there are more apps directly for cuda than for opencl.

Leave a comment:

• monraaf
    replied
    Originally posted by Kano View Post
    If you don't know what you could do just search for E.T.
    You mean this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3w5gmdKdAQ

Leave a comment:

• Kano
    Kanotix Developer

• Kano
    replied
    Do you really think current ATI cards will be faster on LINUX? Well the current Linux games are not that demanding, Unigine based games would be more interesting - or what about ID Rage... Also why not use CUDA or OpenCL for some apps? If you don't know what you could do just search for E.T.

Leave a comment:

• Melcar

• Melcar
    replied
    At least they got that fake Fermi out there . Seriously, nvidia has been making asses of themselves lately. "AMD's lead on DX11 does not matter". Yeah, right. They would be singing a different tune if their precious Fermi was out.
    The thing will be fast and monstrous, if the hype is to be believed. Just wish the damn card would be out now so it can drive prices down.
    Melcar
    Last edited by Melcar; 20 December 2009, 02:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

• mirv

• mirv
    replied
    sorry, but until fermi hits the shelves, it really can't be said to exist. And I get that you're an nvidia fanboy, but really, xvba hasn't been officially released by amd, so you can't complain about it that much.

Leave a comment:

• Kano
    Kanotix Developer

• Kano
    replied
    Well at least i know that they exist.

Leave a comment:

• mirv

• mirv
    replied
    Perhaps wait for fermi to actually be released before touting it - especially when you're against things that "will work in the future".

Leave a comment:

Working...
X