Open ATI Driver More Popular Than Catalyst

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kano View Post
    I guess when you used a 25 ? card you would be as pleased as you are now or even onboard would be suited for you. A PS3 for games is certainly the best way to get rid of driver issues without the need to pay a MS fee
    But then you have to pay the sony fee, and I havent figured out yet which is worse....

Comment

Well MS wants additional 50 $/€ each year when you want to be able to play against your friends online. You don't need that with a PS3. I think it is clear now

Comment

Originally posted by dgrafenhofer View Post
        (rant)
        I am sorry to say this, but you are getting more and more on everybody's nerves with your inflammatory and trollish comments. I know that you are not a native speaker - me neither, but somebody has to tell you that your usage of swear words is completely out of place.
        (/rant)
        What Qaridarium wrote about iDtech5 is probably true.

Comment

Originally posted by yotambien View Post
          I see, but how does that translate into real world improvements? They better be pretty good ones to offset the decreased performance and loss of features the OP would experience when passing from fglrx to radeon for his very recent card.
          I didn't have migration from fglrx to os drivers on my mind (in this case you're right - users will loose performance and features) Just improvements from 2.6.31 - 2.6.32.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
            What Qaridarium wrote about iDtech5 is probably true.
            Care to explain why? I'd rather have this engine see the light of day than the latest "look we got effects that nobody cares about" Crytek engine...

Watch this video and then reconsider your opinion: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvuTtrkVtns

And the graphics do not suck, see the recent trailer here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a--zbG_K9kI

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
              Care to explain why? I'd rather have this engine see the light of day than the latest "look we got effects that nobody cares about" Crytek engine...
              I'm not talking about visual side - only heard technical side is not so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                Well MS wants additional 50 $/? each year when you want to be able to play against your friends online. You don't need that with a PS3. I think it is clear now
                I got ya. Understanding accomplished.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
                  I'm not talking about visual side - only heard technical side is not so good.
                  You heared... yeah right.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
                    Why sould i think HIGH abaut a engine vor Xbox360/Playstation3 ?

PC versions with id5 have bigger maps ok higher resolution ok?

is IDTECH an super Hightech engine for Monster PCs 12cores,32gb ram,4GBvram 5890 overclocked????????

not realy! Shame on ID!! IDtech5 is a FAIL!

IDTech5 Talks abaut big maps... ARMA2 has big maps... 128X128Km

Arma2 on "12cores,32gb ram,4GBvram 5890" locks much better than IDtech5 ever ever ever can be!
                    Two things here.

#1 - I really don't see where you're getting information from, but id tech 5 apparently doesn't use any more than dx9 level features, so I think you're overestimating the pc requirements just a tad.

#2 - what the bloody hell does all that have to do with the open source radeon drivers being more popular than the catalysts?

Comment

Originally posted by Saist View Post
                      Okay. Looks like you need to be put back into your place with a big helping of shut up, you don't know what your talking about. Again.
                      Whatever. I think you should apologize to that other poster since you embarrassed yourself.

I'm not sure how many older Nvidia cards there are in circulation but I don't notice tons of posts of Nvidia owners saying their card is not supported. They might be having some trouble setting it up because of the proprietary driver but the majority of complaints have been owners of older ATI cards.

Second, this myth that everyone who wants 3D is a gamer has to stop. Someone just pointed out that they can't run Google Earth. It might be 3D and fancy but as far as I know, it's not a game.

Third, there is this myth that the OSS driver works well. That depends on who you ask and what card it is. I can only speak for myself but the OSS radeon driver only works 100% with 2D. Only some distros have half decent 3D and many older cards only the choice of the open source driver unless you use a much older X version.

Also, think the term 'popularity' is really reaching and with all due respect to the author, I am not sure I'd choose that wording. Some users are stuck with the open source driver whether they like it or not as it's not worth the time or inconvenience of going back to a previous X/X Server version. Yes, this is my opinion and I am sure it's not worth much but I think at least part of my perspective will be shared by some. I can't be the only frustrated old radeon card user out there.

And lastly, I will hypothesize that many of the older video cards out there, especially laptops in particular, are older RADEON cards. Older Thinkpads, Dell Latitudes, HP and Toshibas often the Radeon 7500, 9000, 9600 and Express Radeon cards. The few Nvidias seem to be FX5200 or perhaps some 7xxx cards. I speculate that the Radeon owners will suffer the most from dropped support because of the numbers out there. Just a hunch.

Comment

Working...
                      X