X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V!NCENT
    replied
    Originally posted by kraftman View Post
    What Qaridarium wrote about iDtech5 is probably true.
    Care to explain why? I'd rather have this engine see the light of day than the latest "look we got effects that nobody cares about" Crytek engine...

Watch this video and then reconsider your opinion: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvuTtrkVtns

And the graphics do not suck, see the recent trailer here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a--zbG_K9kI

Leave a comment:

• kraftman
    replied
    Originally posted by yotambien View Post
    I see, but how does that translate into real world improvements? They better be pretty good ones to offset the decreased performance and loss of features the OP would experience when passing from fglrx to radeon for his very recent card.
    I didn't have migration from fglrx to os drivers on my mind (in this case you're right - users will loose performance and features) Just improvements from 2.6.31 - 2.6.32.

Leave a comment:

• kraftman
    replied
    Originally posted by dgrafenhofer View Post
    (rant)
    I am sorry to say this, but you are getting more and more on everybody's nerves with your inflammatory and trollish comments. I know that you are not a native speaker - me neither, but somebody has to tell you that your usage of swear words is completely out of place.
    (/rant)
    What Qaridarium wrote about iDtech5 is probably true.

Leave a comment:

• Kano
    replied
    Well MS wants additional 50 $/€ each year when you want to be able to play against your friends online. You don't need that with a PS3. I think it is clear now

Leave a comment:

• duby229
    replied
    Originally posted by Kano View Post
    I guess when you used a 25 ? card you would be as pleased as you are now or even onboard would be suited for you. A PS3 for games is certainly the best way to get rid of driver issues without the need to pay a MS fee
    But then you have to pay the sony fee, and I havent figured out yet which is worse....

Leave a comment:

• duffman
    replied
    @kernelOfTruth

Taken from my fglrx script:

Code:
    # Kernel 2.6.32 fix
    grep -q signal.h common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/kcl_io.c || perl -pi -e 's|(#include <linux/poll.h>\n)|\1#include <linux/signal.h>\n|' common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/kcl_io.c
    Why not put the fglrx public part of the kernel module source into a git-server and put new kernel support there?
    Simple script downloads new kernel module source from the git-server for the Catalyst version user is running and then it can compile and use that.
    Solve everyone's problem instead of just Kanotix users.

I mean this won't be possible for all Catalyst releases but for the ones that are it would be useful. It would also allow for backporting kernel support into some older drivers.

Phoro-git anyone?

Leave a comment:

• kernelOfTruth
    replied
    Like CFS and CFQ improvements, better and more drivers, power management improvements, SFI and ACPI4.0 support, file systems improvements.
    this and the improved flush algorithm

as kano already posted a nifty one-liner which should allow to use fglrx on 2.6.32 kernels

there should be no barrier (no visible at least for me atm) to migrate to 2.6.32 (with BFQ, BFS, and all of those other nice improvements - BFQ and BFS are included in the zen-kernel)

that should make desktop-computing with linux under massive load enjoyable and usable again (which until now seems to be the only platform which allows me to do so)
    Last edited by kernelOfTruth; 06 December 2009, 04:06 PM.

Leave a comment:

• kernelOfTruth
    replied
    Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    Not really, we've already published everything we know

We're going to start reviewing agd5f's current analog VGA support next week for release, rather than waiting for digital output support. Should know later next week how that is looking.
    so it could be within the next following weeks (I'm using DVI), I guess

thanks !

@kernelOfTruth

Taken from my fglrx script:

Code:
    # Kernel 2.6.32 fix
    grep -q signal.h common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/kcl_io.c || perl -pi -e 's|(#include <linux/poll.h>\n)|\1#include <linux/signal.h>\n|' common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/kcl_io.c
    you, sir, are amazing !

thanks kano !

Leave a comment:

• yotambien
    replied
    Like CFS and CFQ improvements, better and more drivers, power management improvements, SFI and ACPI4.0 support, file systems improvements.
    I see, but how does that translate into real world improvements? They better be pretty good ones to offset the decreased performance and loss of features the OP would experience when passing from fglrx to radeon for his very recent card.

Leave a comment:

• Adarion
    replied
    When you think about 9-3 driver as last legacy driver release thats clear. The difference can be only R300-R500 cards and a few with R600+ who are oss believers - the users have just no other choice.
    I tell you what: I got 2 R600 style chips and I use the free drivers. Horray me!
    OSS believers go, go, go!
    Okay I admit that there wasn't much choice for R100-500 users but at least the free drivers support these chips nicely. And maybe people ARE even more satisfied with them. By the way most distributors will preferably use the free drivers anyway and thus it is pre-set for users. It's me personally having the choice in Gentoo which drivers to use.

Now you can surely tell me where there is a choice for your always praised Nvidia?
    I got some of their chips and they are li-la-legacy. So no nvidia binary blob for me. Aww. nv is the driver of choice there. Oh, wait. Was there a choice anyway?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X